VMware Communities
fogcitynative
Contributor
Contributor

DHCP, IP Address in VM

Can someone please tell me how to get my Boot Camp winXP Pro VM onto the same network as the rest of my machines? My local trusted network is 192.168.0.XXX and if I launch either the Mac OS or Boot Camp and select DHCP, the machine comes up on the proper local trusted workgroup network: 192.168.0.XXX where XXX is assigned by the router.

However, when I use VM Fusion to launch my Boot Camp Partition, it gets a totally different IP address in NAT mode, I assume using DHCP to get an IP coming from Fusion, such that while I can connect to the internet in the VM, I cannot connect to any of my other local machines on the 192.168.0.XXX network, because my VM Fusion VM is not on that network but a completely different network.

If I put Fusion into Bridged mode, I lose all IP connectivity.

Liikewise, if I select static IPin the VM machine, I also lose all outside internet connectivity and also have to select a main and alternate DNS server. I'm using simple Windows Workgroup networking (file and print sharing) and we don't have a dedicated DNS server.

Can someone please walk me through step by step how to get the Boot Camp WinXP Partition VM created by Fusion onto the same IP network as the rest of my machines so it can do peer-to-peer file and print sharing in a Windows Workgroup.

Can't find anything about this here and it must be simple if your are a certfied Microsoft Systems Enginner with a few years of training in all the intricacies of Windows. I';m a die hard Mac bigot because it so simple, you just plug it in and it works. Not so with Windows and there are so darn many settings only a certified genius can figure it all out.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jgl1975
Expert
Expert

You should set your vm ethernet interface to bridged and check if you receive an ip address from your dhcp server (your router?).

You can check your ip by going to start --> Run --> cmd --> ipconfig /all.

0 Kudos
scottfsmith
Contributor
Contributor

This also worked for me. I found I had to reboot the guest OS to get the bridged network connection to work though (if I knew more about Windows maybe I wouldn't have needed to -- I did try the "repair" network thing and no go).

Scott

Message was edited by:

scottfsmith

0 Kudos
jgl1975
Expert
Expert

Instead of rebooting, you can try to ipconfig /release --> ipconfig /renew.

This has to be done in a dos box (Start>Run>cmd).

0 Kudos
fogcitynative
Contributor
Contributor

The trick is to make the changes while VM Fusion is not running and then run it. It will pick up the correct DHCP IP when it boots. Changing the network preference from NAT to Bridged while VM Fusion is running and clicking apply does not work.

I must remember I'm dealing with WINDOZE BY MICROSNOT here, clearly one of the most convoluted, arcane, quirky, illogical, back asswards, jargon infused, techno-babbleish, and downright stupid operating systems ever written by man. The day will come when they will need to stop basically patching DOS and will have to rewrite the whole thing. That's the day that will mark the beginning of the end of Microsnot. Because Microsnot will not handle the transistion nearly as well as Apple did going from OS 9 to OS X and from PowerPC to Universal Binary with nary a hiccup.

If you think XP is bad, try Vista. Or better yet, maybe people will stop acting like sheep and playing follow the leader and will start using the mind God gave them to actually decide who makes the best OS. Running apps on either Windoze or Mac is not the issue; apps generally run fine either way. It's supporting the OS when things don't work as expected that makes Windoze suck and users need a degree in rocket science to support Windoze. Mere mortals like me can handle Mac because it basically acts logically and doesn't need all that much support.

So, thank you for VMWare, where I can have a Mac most of the time and still use Windoze on those rare occasions that I'm forced to do so by short-sided software companies.

0 Kudos
nesmex
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

It seems to be a somehow common problem among several VM Fusion user including myself, VM is aware of it and has a thread regarding this issue:

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=96699

I tried several things, but what worked best for me was using a third party software: Network Magic (www.networkmagic.com), there's a trial version that can troubleshoot your network connection and fix the problems. Once I get connectivity, I can use bonjour printing and file sharing without a problem

I hope VMWare comes with a final solution to this problem real soon.

Cheers,

0 Kudos