VMware Communities
cedric_king
Contributor
Contributor

Cygwin keyboard problems

I have WinXP Pro installed within Fusion. In that machine I'm running vim through Cygwin. The delete/backspace key works fine in the bash shell. However, I'm having a great deal of trouble using vim. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on and how I might fix it?

I'm using a MacBookPro with the local keyboard and an MB110LL/A Apple Keyboard via USB.

Thanks,

Cedric

cedric.king@king-thompson.net

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What exactly is the problem? You're implying backspace/delete problems with vim in Cygwin in an XP guest, but what exactly happens if you try? Have you used vim before (e.g. in OS X)?

0 Kudos
cedric_king
Contributor
Contributor

I have a reasonable amount of experience using vim on RedHat 6 through Fedora 8 and on OS X, as well as on Windows boxes with Cygwin.

For example, when i(serting) text and you hit "delete" it merely moves the cursor to the left leaving the text unchanged. When you press the right-arrow, it will delete the character. In fact, it will do this for multiple charactrers. Also, you can only delete/backspace only as much as text was entered.

If you try to delete an existing characters with the delete/backspace key, which has always worked for me in the past, it simply backspaces. The forward delete key works fine, but I very seldom work that way.

Also, the number pad does not work.

There are too many oddities to mention. There isn't a complete mapping problem, but certainly a significant one.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I have a reasonable amount of experience using vim on RedHat 6 through Fedora 8 and on OS X, as well as on Windows boxes with Cygwin.

OK, had to check Smiley Happy

For example, when i(serting) text and you hit "delete" it merely moves the cursor to the left leaving the text unchanged. When you press the right-arrow, it will delete the character. In fact, it will do this for multiple charactrers. Also, you can only delete/backspace only as much as text was entered.

What keyboard are you using? If I remember correctly, Apple keyboards are laid out a little differently; have you tried a PC keyboard with the guest or used the Apple keyboard with a PC?

Also, the number pad does not work.

You need to turn on number lock in the guest. The exact method depends on the keyboard you have, but on most extended keyboards it's the key above the numberpad 7 (e.g. clear).

0 Kudos