VMware Communities
VincentVega
Contributor
Contributor

Cut and paste from Explorer annoyance

I've recently upgraded to Fusion 1.1.2. All is working well, aside from an issue I'm getting with cutting and pasting files from Windows Explorer. If I cut a file in Explorer (select the file and press CTRL-X), the file gets copied to the clipboard. Its icon in Explorer fades out a little. If I then move my mouse out of the Fusion window, the clipboard gets emptied and the icon returns to normal. I have tried creating a new VM and I am using the latest version of VMWare Tools. I am also using XP with SP3, if that makes any difference.

I don't remember this behaviour in pre-1.1.2 builds - is it a bug or is it intentional? If intentional, is there any way of turning it off?

Oh, and one more issue: the ENTER key on the numeric keypad doesn't work! Doesn't do anything at all - the rest of the keypad works fine. This is the Apple Bluetooth keyboard (non-aluminium) with a Mac Pro.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

I see the behavior you're talking about only the focus returns back to the XP SP3 machine. I cut an icon, it dims, I click out to the Finder (icon remains dimmed) and when I click back into XP SP3 the Explorer undims the icon. I don't have to switch applications, just mousing out of Fusion and back in loses the clipboard.

Maybe something about the clipboard handling in the Tools causes this I'm not sure.

0 Kudos
Bob_Zimmerman
Expert
Expert

Regarding the file cut issue, what are you expecting to happen? This is a serious question.

Keep in mind that on a Mac, Enter and Return are actually two different keys. It could be that there isn't a mapping to make Enter presses the same as Return presses.

0 Kudos
VincentVega
Contributor
Contributor

I'm expecting nothing to happen - the file should remain on the clipboard until I do another cut or copy (which could be another file, a piece of text in Word or an image in Paint). Going from XP to OS X and back shouldn't clear the Windows clipboard: all I'm doing is switching focus from Fusion to, say, Safari, doing a it of surfing and then going back to Fusion.

For example, I have a couple of Explorer windows open. I cut a couple of files from one window and move the mouse to the bottom of the Fusion window to the task bar. I want to switch to my other Explorer window and paste the files into there. If I'm a little sloppy with my mouse control and let the pointer stray out of the Fusion window, even by a couple of pixels, the clipboard gets cleared. I haven't done anything on the Mac or in Windows to change the content of the clipboard, so why has Fusion cleared it for me?

0 Kudos
Bob_Zimmerman
Expert
Expert

Alright. I wanted to be sure you weren't expecting to be able to cut the file from Explorer and paste it into the Finder or another VM.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

I tried to selectively disable sharing the clipboard and drag-n-drop via the configuration file and neither changes the outcome, I still lose the Explorer selection. Maybe you could contact VMware support about this.

0 Kudos