VMware Communities
jonjac
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cut and paste between host and virtual machine does not work in Fusion 10.1.1.1 and High Sierra 10.13.2

I upgraded recently from Fusion 8.x to 10.1.1 and after the upgrade I can't cut and paste between the host and the virtual machine any longer.

VMware Tools 10.2.0.x are installed, and the checkbox "Enable cut and paste" in the Isolation preferences is set. Everything else seems to be in working order.

Any ideas on what could be wrong?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Most likely the issue is still VMware Tools.

What OS is your guest OS running?

For Windows guest OS I generally recommend in this type of issue to uninstall VMware Tools from "Add/Remove Programs" in configuration panel, then reboot the Windows guest OS and install VMware Tools again. It is important to do the reboot inbetween as only that guarantees that old/obsolete DLLs are purged.

Note that a repair install or a "Reinstall VMware Tools" from the menu rarely fix anything.

For macOS guest's I would also do a full uninstall, reboot, install, but I'm less certain it will resolve the issue.

For Linux the issue might be something else.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Most likely the issue is still VMware Tools.

What OS is your guest OS running?

For Windows guest OS I generally recommend in this type of issue to uninstall VMware Tools from "Add/Remove Programs" in configuration panel, then reboot the Windows guest OS and install VMware Tools again. It is important to do the reboot inbetween as only that guarantees that old/obsolete DLLs are purged.

Note that a repair install or a "Reinstall VMware Tools" from the menu rarely fix anything.

For macOS guest's I would also do a full uninstall, reboot, install, but I'm less certain it will resolve the issue.

For Linux the issue might be something else.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
jonjac
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry for missing that information. The guest OS is Windows 10.

First, I have to disconnect the laptop (MBP) from my two external screens, otherwise the VMware Tools will fail on the SVGA driver installation and rollback everything.

Second, I see now that I do get an error when installing: "Setup failed to install the VMCI Virtual Machine Communication Interface driver automatically. This driver has to be installed manually." But the installation continues. Guessing that could be affecting the cut and paste function.

So I entered VMware Tools reinstall, selected modify, uninstalled VMCI, rebooted, entered installaton, selected modify, installed VMCI (which worked fine this time), rebooting...

... AND NOW IT WORKS!

So, it seems to just be a matter of successfully reinstall the tools. Which in itself can be a struggle.

0 Kudos