VMware Communities
strangecargo
Contributor
Contributor

Cut and Paste not working in Linux guest

I can't get cut & paste between host and guest to work at all in a 32-bit Ubuntu 12.04 guest under Fusion 5.0, regardless of Unity/Windowed/Fullscreen mode. This is incredibly frustrating. Anybody else running into this issue?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

How do you C/P between H/G? Do you use KB shortcut or use mouse? Which applications you are using when C/P? We'll need more information to go on. Thanks for using Fusion.

0 Kudos
strangecargo
Contributor
Contributor

I wasn't able to get copy/paste working via keyboard shortcut (command-C/command-V on the host and shift-control-C/shift-control-V on Linux), but the copy/paste keys were working when copy/pasting within the guest. For example, I was able to copy text from my Linux terminal using shift-control-C and then paste it into another window on the Linux guest via shift-control-V, but when I pasted into a window on the host using command-V, all I got was the contents of my host pasteboard, rather than the text that I had copied on the Linux guest.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Copy and Paste between Host/Guest and vice versa requires VMware Tools to be installed and functioning properly.  Have you install VMware Tools in the Guest or upgraded them if this was a previous version Virtual Machine?

0 Kudos
strangecargo
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, VMWare tools is installed. I just re-installed them to make sure. Still no cut & paste.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You are using "shift-control-C/shift-control-V", it's "Paste Special", that seems only works between two Terminal windows in linux. It doesn't work if you use it between Terminal window and a text file (gedit) in Linux. Cut/Copy/Paste in Linux should be "Control-X/Control-C/Control-V". Can you try "Control-X" to cut some text in your Terminal in Linux guest and then "Command-V" to a Mac host TextEdit file and see if that will work? Thanks.

0 Kudos
strangecargo
Contributor
Contributor

Still doesn't work. Also, using control-C to copy from gedit in Linux and then command-V to paste into an OS X TextEdit window does not work.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Does command-c/command-v between your Mac host apps work? Are you running Lion or Mountain Lion host? Last, please reproduce the issue and then collect support information (Under Help menu > Collect Support Information). Thanks.

0 Kudos
strangecargo
Contributor
Contributor

I managed to get cut and paste working again by rebooting the OS X host. Restarting VMWare Fusion wasn't enough.

0 Kudos
867mobile
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue. I disabled auto login and restarted vm (Ubuntu 14.04). Resolved issue. Am able to cut/copy & paste again.

0 Kudos