VMware Communities
chartsmalm
Contributor
Contributor

Current (10/25/10) status of upgrading from XP to Win7 using VMware Fusion as the machine

As I look thru the myriad of posts on the issue of XP to Win7, there seems to be a massive amount of different problems and solutions, and I didn't find any discussion that was reasonably current.

Has anyone had recent success using the Upgrade 3 pack as a means of getting the job done? Everything that I read leaves me with the feeling that the workhorse XP ( just like NT for the business community) will be my choice for years to come.

I really like the look and feel of Win7 which I have on my new laptop - but the nightmare of the upgrade on Fusion makes me doubt it's worth in that environment.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Has anyone had recent success using the Upgrade 3 pack as a means of getting the job done?

What are you talking about?

Anyway there is no direct upgrade path from Windows XP directly to Windows 7 since you would have to reinstall all Applications and User Data anyway, so all you need to do is just create a new Windows 7 Virtual Machine and if you want to use a Windows 7 Upgrade version then as you walk through the New Virtual Machine Assistant just leave the Windows Product Key blank on the Easy Install sheet and continue forward.

Then after you've installed VMware Tools just follow the steps in Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media to Activate Windows. I've used Method # 2 without any problems.

Afterward you can use Windows Easy Transfer to migrate User Data and User Setting from Windows XP to Windows 7.

0 Kudos