VMware Communities
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Creating a .vmdk with specific name and SCSi Point

Hi guys

being a user in x86 Wintel Workstation for many years it takes my seconds to change a second unique named .vmdk to scsi1:0 - but alas I cannot see where to do this on Fusion, it puts the .vmdk on scsi0:1

If I change it manually in the .vmx to scsi1:0 the disk no longer works, any ideas please - I'm probably missing somethng simple here.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

A VMware Employee and 4 time VCP and you have to ask this question, something isn't right! Smiley Wink

You should know it takes the following four options to define a LSI Logic SCSI Virtual Hard Disk.

scsi0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0:0.fileName = "Virtual_Machine_Name.vmdk"

Note that for BusLogic the scsi(n).virtualDev option is not required as it is the default if not present.  For an LSI Logic SAS Virtual Hard Disk the scsi(n).virtualDev option is "lsisas1068". 

So to put it on SCSI 1.0 you need to have the following in the .vmx configuration file.

scsi1.present = "TRUE"
scsi1.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
scsi1:0.present = "TRUE"
scsi1:0.fileName = "Virtual_Machine_Name.vmdk"

Also if you change to scsi1:0 and there is no longer a disk on scsi0:0 then set the following option as well.

scsi0:0.present = "FALSE"
admin
Immortal
Immortal

haha, yeah

I did that and fusion said no, so ported it to Wintel Workstation - made change and ported back was good for me.... earlier today.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Soooo new to Fusion and MAC.. my fail..

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I did that and fusion said no, so ported it to Wintel Workstation - made change and ported back was good for me

I manually edit the .vmx configuration file (in VMware Fusion and other VMware Products) all the time adding removing disks much less other options so it is doable and there is no need to port back and forth to get it working, if done properly.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Soooo new to Fusion and MAC.. my fail..

Host OS difference aside, VMware Workstation offers more configuration options via the GUI much less additional features then VMware Fusion does however you'll eventually get used to it. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos