VMware Communities
tuba2k7
Contributor
Contributor

Creating a virtual machine from a physical hard disk.

I have VMware fusion on my computer. My wife's pc motherboard completely crashed. I have removed the hard drive and placed it into an enclosure. (Sata if necessary) I would like to create a virtual machine directly from this Hard Drive. I have tried accessing the files on the hard drive on my virtual machine and it locks me out. How do I create a virtual machine with this external hard drive? I do not have another toshiba computer to place the hard drive in to run vmware converter.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Licensing and Windows Activation issues aside if you put the hard drive is a FireWire Enclosure then VMware Fusion will recognize it (wrongly) as a Boot Camp partition and you can try and get it up and running as a Virtual Machine. I do it all the time with systems where the motherboard died and don't have another identical physical system to put the HDD in when I need to run it live one last time for one reason or another. Also you can use vmware-rawdiskCreator to create Virtual Hard Drive of the Raw Disk and go at it from that angle.

However I will say that it can require some advanced techniques to get it up and running but it is doable if you know what you're doing.

If you don't then a better approach is to just get your user data off of it and build a Virtual Machine from scratch the normal way.

0 Kudos
tuba2k7
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried that, vmware fuison recognizes it as the wrong file...aka boot camp. I have another virtual machine on my computer. I have also tried opening my files through that. It has locked out accessing those files on a different computer. aka i can't get in the owner files to transfer those. Are there any other sugestions on how to do this. I do not have another physical machine to just put the hard drive into.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I have tried that, vmware fuison recognizes it as the wrong file...aka boot camp.

Yes as I previously stated with a FireWire enclosure Fusion will recognize it (wrongly) as a Boot Camp partition however you might be able to get it up an running as Fusion will attempt to prepare it to run as a Virtual Machine although I have had to manually inject information into the Windows Registry and add a couple of drives, one for keyboard and one for the hard drive but it is doable if you know what your doing.

I have another virtual machine on my computer. I have also tried opening my files through that. It has locked out accessing those files on a different computer. aka i can't get in the owner files to transfer those.

If you don't need to run it as a Virtual Machine and you just need to get the User Data then you could attach it via a USB enclosure and attach it to your existing Virtual Machine although you should be able to just access it through OS X if your just trying to retrieve User Data. Depending on how you choose to access it if your having problems accessing the target User's Folders/Files you will either have to take Ownership of the Folders/Files (if accessing it from another Windows computer) or access the Disk as the Root User using sudo (if accessing it from OS X).

Are there any other sugestions on how to do this. I do not have another physical machine to just put the hard drive into.

Without another Physical Machine if you want to run it as a Virtual Machine you will need to use a FireWire enclosure to get proper Raw Disk Access or if your're just wanting the User Data then a USB enclosure is the easiest. As long as the NTFS Volume, (I'm assuming it's not FAT32), is not Encrypted then you should be able to access the entire drive however the User's Home Folder can require the accessing Account to take Ownership if accessing it from Windows and this is a Windows issue not a Fusion issue. In other words whether you attach this Drive to a Virtual Machine or another Physical Machine if you cannot access something then you have to take Ownership using an Administrator's Account if direct access from an Administrator's Account is denied.

You didn't say what OS you're running on the Virtual Machine you have however have a look at: How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP

IMO The easiest, fastest and safest way to access and retrieve the User Data is attaching the drive using USB and then booting the Virtual Machine or Physical Machine with a Knoppix 5.1.1 CD/DVD/ISO Image depending on virtual or physical and then run as Root and you should have no problem accessing the files to copy them. I've used this method for many years retrieving user data is similar cases and the reason I do it this way is it access the drive by default as Read Only thus not modifying the Drive in any manner and this is why I said "and safest way to access" and until I had a binary image, like a Ghost Image, of the User's Hard Drive I never access it in a manner that can modify the contents in any manner.

0 Kudos
gbullman
Expert
Expert

WoodyZ,

I am planning to do as you suggest here; "with a FireWire enclosure Fusion will recognize it (wrongly)

as a Boot Camp partition however you might be able to get it up an

running as Fusion will attempt to prepare it to run as a Virtual

Machine although I have had to manually inject information into the

Windows Registry and add a couple of drives, one for keyboard and one

for the hard drive but it is doable if you know what your doing."

I am purchasing a Firewire Enclosure for the hard drive out of our Windows PC which we are retiring. For the most part I expect to just retrieve data from it, but I am interested in running it as a VM on the rare occassions I need to do that. Can you direct me to where I can find what needs to be done to get this running as a VM?

Thanks in advance,

Gary

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

If the Physical Machine is still running the easiest thing to do is to create a Virtual machine from it using VMware vCenter Converter Standalone.

Also if you haven't purchased the Drive Enclosure yet I can tell you that I have many enclosures from different manufactures and the one's I have the best results with for IDE/PATA Drives are from Macally PHR-100AC and or PHR-250CC and for SATA Drives PHR-S100SUA and PHR-S250CC.

As far as directions I think most of it it already out there in the forums or Google but the information can also be gleaned from the files used to prepare the Boot Camp partition as a Virtual Machine by reading the scripts and looking at the reg files used during this process.

0 Kudos
gbullman
Expert
Expert

Yes, I've got a few of those Macally enclosures already and have had good luck with them.

I'll consider the conversion, I was trying to avoid making another copy of the machine, but that might be the most straight forward path to get this done. I've done conversions with the stand alone converter in the past and they worked out fine.

thanks for the feedback

0 Kudos