VMware Communities
coopermj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Creating a compatible vm

Is there a way to create a VM compatible with previous virtualHW versions with Fusion? If not, I'll give rolling my own a try, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks

-Micah

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

>Is there a way to create a VM compatible with previous virtualHW versions with Fusion?

I've run some legacy machines on Fusion, so I imagine if you edit the .vmx file before you power on the VM the first time, this would create a legacy hardware VM which you could install into. The only thing I'm unsure of is the VMDK disk format compatibility. The machine still might not work if you went back to older VMware versions.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

>Is there a way to create a VM compatible with previous virtualHW versions with Fusion?

I've run some legacy machines on Fusion, so I imagine if you edit the .vmx file before you power on the VM the first time, this would create a legacy hardware VM which you could install into. The only thing I'm unsure of is the VMDK disk format compatibility. The machine still might not work if you went back to older VMware versions.

0 Kudos
coopermj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You can flip the version, but there seems to be a version on the disk file itself. If you delete the disk, there's no way (yet) to add disk.

I'm assuming it's just not implemented yet, but thanks for letting me know it will run legacy. I'll just create a compatible image on windows and copy the files over.

Thanks

-Micah

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'll just create a compatible image on windows and copy the files over.

Yes you can use this as your "new" machine template. FWIW, while we're way out in unsupported land - you can also use VMware Importer within a Guest VM to "downlevel" a machine to Workstation 4.x format including its disks over shared folders. What platform are you trying to target?

0 Kudos