VMware Communities
AmmarSM
Contributor
Contributor

Creating VM with OSX Snow Leopard

Hi

i want to create Mac OSX Snow Leopard VM in Fusion with installation DVD but the options it show me

for OS is only for Mac OSX Server so if i choose any and startup the machine it will tell me that this DVD

is no a Server so what to do ?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

i want to create Mac OSX Snow Leopard VM in Fusion with installation DVD but the options it show me

for OS is only for Mac OSX Server so if i choose any and startup the machine it will tell me that this DVD

is no a Server so what to do ?

Apple's SLA for Mac OS X only allows for Mac OS X Server 10.5 and higher to be legally installed on and or virtualized on Apple Branded Hardware and the only VMware product that is supported for this is VMware Fusion when being run on a Genuine Intel Based Mac!

Helping you with this and or discussing installing OS X Client would be against the VMware Communities Terms of Use since it violates Apple's SLA for Mac OS X Client.

0 Kudos
AmmarSM
Contributor
Contributor

Ok good so now I have an external hard disk that have installation and bootable

Osx Server on it I used it to upgrade my iMac from snow to snow server but I don't

Know how to use it with fusion I connect it but the VM never boots from it even when

I use the option key so how to use it ?

Sincerely

Ammar S. Mitoori

Sent from my iPad

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

In your OP your were talking about virtualizing Mac OS X Client and now you're saying Mac OS X Server, so which is it?  If it's Mac OS X Client then this discussion is finished!

If it's Mac OS X Server then either install it from the Install Disc or .dmg Image.  If you're trying to use a Raw Disk with OS X Server on it you can try using vmware-rawdiskCreator to create the .vmdk although I do not know if it will work because it only creates it for a partition and I would guess you need to use the whole disk, both the EFI and Apple_HFS partitions.

0 Kudos
AmmarSM
Contributor
Contributor

hi

see what i want to install is OSX Server but because i dont have the CD only dmg file i thought to install OSX then

from it run the dmg file, so if i can use the dmg file for the server how can i the dmg file because i failed to do i tried

first to make a cdr file and attached it to the VM but it didn't boot from it, then i made a bootable OSX server external

hard disk and used it very well to upgrade a iMac but when connected it to new VM it didnt boot from it even when pressing

the option key so whats the best way

Regards

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

see what i want to install is OSX Server but because i dont have the CD only dmg file

CD?  The Optical Media Mac OS X (Client or Server) is distributed on is a DVD.

What version of Mac OS X Server is it?

What type of DMG File is it and from where was it acquired or how was it made?   In other words is the DMG File an image of a Mac OS X Server Optical Disc made via Disk Utility, a DMG File downloaded from Apple Developer, or is it an image made of a hard disk that Mac OS X Server was install on?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

FWIW I would like to add that I have installed Mac OS X Server in a Virtual Machine under VMware Fusion using DVD Optical Media, a DMG Image and or a CDR Image of the DVD Optical Media, a DMG Image of the Macintosh HD containing the Mac OS X Server install and a direct clone of the physical Macintosh HD containing the Mac OS X Server install to the virtual hard disk Macintosh HD.  So there certainly is more then one way to accomplish this.  BTW These methods do not/will not work with Mac OS X Client and even if they would, it is against the Apple SLA for that product to do so in a Virtual Machine.

Additionally with Mac OS X Server if you're going to maintain both the physical install and the virtual install you need to have the appropriate number of licenses for the number of installs, physical or virtual.

0 Kudos
AmmarSM
Contributor
Contributor

Its a dmg file I downloaded with my apple developer account and I can install it on a VM and on physical Mac such as iMac but I like to know how to do it with VM

Sincerely

Ammar S. Mitoori

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Its a dmg file I downloaded with my apple developer account and I can install it on a VM and on physical Mac such as iMac but I like to know how to do it with VM.

You can assign the DMG Image to the CD/DVD and set the CD/DVD to be the Startup Device under Advanced in the Virtual Machine's Settings and you should be able to boot it however if this is a Mac OS X Lion Server DMG Image it is not officially supported and you may run into some issues and have to resort to imaging the physical install or do a direct clone, just as you can with physical machines, to bypass the actual setup/install directly from the downloaded DMG Image to the Virtual Machine.

0 Kudos