VMware Communities
larry989
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Creating A VM with ISO file

Trying to create a VM on  MacBook Pro running Ventura (13.4)  Have down loaded an ISO file foe Windows 11 (see below)

Win11_22H2_English_x64v2.iso

I put the ISO in the "Create a New VM" window and nothing happens?

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
larry989
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm using a M2

I repbooted my computer and got the VM to be created, but when I try to run it it says

"This VM cannot be powered on because it requires the x86 machine architecture

see KB-84273

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are you using an M1 or M1 Mac? If so, that ISO won't work. It's for Intel CPUs only and the M1 and M2 Macs are not Intel or Intel-compatible CPUs. You'll need a Windows 11 ARM ISO, which is not directly downloadable from Microsoft. See the Unofficial Fusion 13 for Apple Silicon Companion Guide for instructions on how to download and install Windows 11 ARM to use on with Fusion on an M1/M2 Mac.

Otherwise, if you're on an Intel Mac, when you say "I put the ISO in the "Create a New VM" windows and nothing happens", I'm assuming that you're dragging and dropping that onto the window. I do assume that you've read over the instructions in the Fusion documentation (available within the product or on the web). There is a topic specifically for installing Windows 11 as the Guest Operating System.

What happens after that?  "Nothing happens" is pretty vague -  more details will help.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
larry989
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm using a M2

I repbooted my computer and got the VM to be created, but when I try to run it it says

"This VM cannot be powered on because it requires the x86 machine architecture

see KB-84273

0 Kudos
larry989
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Went to the guide and followed the steps for 

Building Windows 11 ARM 21H2 ISOs on macOS

created the download package but no zip file was downloaded

here is what was

ConvertConfig.ini

readme.unix.md

uup_d_linux.sh

uup_down.macos.sh

yup_down.dows.cmd

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You have an old version of the guide if you are trying to build the ISO from uupdump. Those instructions are obsolete. 

Use version 17 or later of the Companion Guide that’s found at the link I posted earlier. There are 2 pdf files at that link; ignore the pdf containing the deprecated instructions.. .

Follow the instructions in the Companion Guide there to obtain your Windows 11I ARM ISO. You will need to download a utility (linked to in the Companion Guide) that builds the ISO without needing anything from Homebrew or MacPorts. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
larry989
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Found version 17, followed step, got to ./w11arm_esd2iso

it tells me no such file or directory

tried ./w11arm_esd2iso-V3.0.1 and it tells me it is a directory

suggestions?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sounds like you either unzipped the download through the Finder or your browser did it for you automatically and you did not use the unzip command line from the Terminal. 

cd into that directory and you should find the utility. Execute ./w11arm_esd2iso  from there. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
larry989
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You were totally correct, after I unzipped using terminal I was able to create the ISO file

So then I went to step 13.5 dragged the Iso into the VM create a new VM and nothing happens

The continue button stays greyed out?  I waited a long time and it still stayed grey.

I shut down Fusion and rebooted but did not solve the issue, suggestions?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What is the name of the ISO file that was created, and what are its properties (file size, etc).

Which step in the procedure in section 13.5 are you stuck at? Step 2 where you drag the ISO onto the "Select the Installation Method" dialog, or step 3 where the ISO that you dragged in step 2 should be displayed?

Please post a screen shot of where you are encountering a problem.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
larry989
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Update, I rebooted my computer the "continue" button turned blue and allowed me to create a VM.

So  I went down to step 13.5 step 8 and pressed the > to start the machine, then I pressed the mouse and got the "Start PXE over ipv4" message and my mouse wouldn't work, so I shut down the computer again and tried again with the same results.

Appreciate all the help, you have gotten me much further than I could by myself!

I have attached a few screen shots, hopefully they will help.

0 Kudos
larry989
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Another update, so I tried again on step 8 but this time I did Command-G instead of the mouse and it worked, now I continue with the installation of windows, really appreciate all the help

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

@larry989 wrote:

Another update, so I tried again on step 8 but this time I did Command-G instead of the mouse and it worked, now I continue with the installation of windows, really appreciate all the help

That's what I suspected about the mouse click then the press of any key on the keyboard.

Glad you were able to move forward. Please note the instructions starting with step 16 on installing the "VMware Tools" video and network driver using Powershell. You will not complete Windows Setup without the network driver being installed.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
larry989
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How long should it take to install VM Tools?  It has been 10 minutes?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It doesn't take much time at all. However, simply selecting "Install VMware Tools" from the Fusion GUI won't do anything except mount the ISO to the virtual machine. It won't start any installer or give you any indication that the Tools ISO has been mounted. 

You must open a command line prompt in the VM using the instructions in the Guide, then issue the commands shown there to execute the "Tools" installation script. The 😧 drive is where the Tools installer has been mounted to, and the commands shown explicitly tell you to change directory to that drive before running the installation script. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
larry989
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So step 16 tells me to do a shift-fn-f10 to open a command line prompt

all that does is turn on/off my volume?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You’re not holding down the keys as described in the documentation.

Click the mouse pointer anywhere in the VMs window other than the areas to select the country or the “Yes” button. Then hold the shift and fn keys down and then press the F10 key. Release the shift and fn keys once the command prompt window appears. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
larry989
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

if i just do shift then f10 the command line appears

Now to add the tools

0 Kudos
larry989
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Looks like I have Windows 11 installed at least it wants me to connect my account and customize, but out doesn't look like tools got installed

Is there another way to install them

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There are no VMware tools other than video and network drivers. If you are at the point where you are being asked to set up a user, you are past the point where the drivers you installed are active and your network has been configured.

You have all of what’s available from “VMware Tools” at this point in time. There is not a full tools implementation like there is for Windows on Intel. There is no copy/paste/drag/drop between the host and VM, shared folders, 3d acceleration for Windows 11 ARM VMs in Fusion 13. This is explained (along with some work-arounds) in the Companion Guide. Stop and take the time to read it - there’s lots of good info in there that will help you. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
larry989
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well, it appears as if things are working

I really appreciate all your help.

I don't think I could have down it on my own, your guide was very helpful, thanks for that, but your "chatting" really saved me!

Thanks

0 Kudos