VMware Communities
loutro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Create clone option missing in Fusion 8

Hi

I can't seem to find the option to create a clone (linked or not). I open snapshots and right click a snapshot but there is create clone option. Am I looking in the wrong place?

This happened after upgrading from 7 to 8.

Thanks

Louis

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
loutro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for that - I upgrade from 7 Pro and did not realize the upgrade was just to 8 and not 8 Pro

Cheers

Louis

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Woodmeister50
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Cloning has been moved to the Pro version.

0 Kudos
loutro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for that - I upgrade from 7 Pro and did not realize the upgrade was just to 8 and not 8 Pro

Cheers

Louis

0 Kudos
Matthewe79
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After 9 years with Parallels i am looking to make a switch to VMware Fusion now that it seems to have pretty much the same graphics capabilities.

With cloning moved to the 'Pro' version, what is the difference really between cloning my VM, and copying it to another location for safe keeping as a backup and telling Fusion that i have only 'moved it' if i go and restore it for whatever reason?  In parallels i often backed up my VM every few weeks by cloning it.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Woodmeister50
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Like you, I have departed from Parallels after many loyal years due to their new offerings of

really dumbing down the base products and enslaving one with their ball and chain "Pro"

version.

To answer your question, The way I understand it, copy and paste will bring the VM and all snapshots.

Cloning gives the option of just duplicating the VM itself.

Matthewe79
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks!

0 Kudos