VMware Communities
Timon-VTS
Contributor
Contributor

Create an VM MacOs Ventura on a MAC mini M1 wit VMWare fusion 13 pro

Hello,

I downloaded VMWare fusion 13 Pro und activated the 30 day free trial.
I wanted to check how easy it is to visualize an MacOs X Ventura Vm on an MAC mini M1 with VMWare fusion 13 pro.

But here is my Problem. I only have the possibility to create an custom Vm or import a Vm from remote server. In Tutorials I can see there 3 more options.

When I want to create an custom VM i won't be able to create an MacOS System, only Windows 11 arm, Linux and "other 64-Bit Arm". It is related to the trial Version?

I hope you can help me

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

See Q10 and Q11: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Documents/Running-Fusion-on-an-Intel-Mac-and-upgradi...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Timon-VTS
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your answer.

then it is still true that there is no solution to this from VMWare and you have to resort to other software?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@Timon-VTS wrote:

Thanks for your answer.

then it is still true that there is no solution to this from VMWare and you have to resort to other software?

Yes it’s still true.

While it may seem that not having macOS virtualization in Fusion is a bad thing (because Parallels has it “built in”), the situation may not be as dire as one would initially think. All of the solutions that virtualize macOS are using Apple’s high level Virtualization Framework. They all have the same features (and more importantly) restrictions. And none of them will run macOS versions older than Monterey  

In he case of Parallels, what they provide is a just a front end to Apple’s capabilities for virtualizing macOS. The macOS features are not the same as what they provide for Windows and Linux. No snapshots. No resizing of virtual disks  There are other things it does differently for macOS. So why pay a lot of money for a product  when you can get the same macOS virtualization functionality for free from Virtual Buddy or UTM? 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

FWIW, Sonoma doesn't seem to have improved the situation very much.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Sonoma adds the ability to suspend a virtual machine and it does appear to have some enhancement in screen sizing. But it still doesn't allow:

• virtual machine snapshots
  • resizing a virtual disk after it's created
  • USB device connectivity
  • Signing in with your Apple ID to the virtual machine.
  • Running of more than 2 macOS VMs.

It's also been reported by others that its virtual disk I/O is smoewhat slow - slower than you'd expect even when running on a SSD.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Yeah, I'd still put it squarely in the experimental/enthusiast/exploratory phase.  Definitely not ready for prime time.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos