VMware Communities
donnyh02
Contributor
Contributor

Create a guest OS of High Sierra or Mojave on Fusion 13.0.1

I tried to get this info from the Compatibility Guide, unfortunately, it wasn't helpful. Please advise what version of Fusion I need to create a guest os of either High Sierra (10.13) and/or Mojave (10.14) I've been trying to create a guest OS from Sierra (10.12) on Fusion 13.0.1 but it doesn't seem to work.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Are you on an Intel based Mac or an Apple Silicon based one?

0 Kudos
donnyh02
Contributor
Contributor

The computer with Fusion 13 is an Intel iMac.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Sierra isn't supported as a guest according to the compatibility matrix.  12, 11, 10.15.x, and 10.9 are the only ones supported.

Remember, you can't downgrade fusion to a version that's unsupported on the host (i.e. if you're on Ventura, you'll need to run Fusion 13).

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

@donnyh02 wrote:

I've been trying to create a guest OS from Sierra (10.12) on Fusion 13.0.1 but it doesn't seem to work.

Please elaborate.
Without any details on what you have tried to do, we have no idea on what to suggest and have to guess.
This should work...

One of the things to pay attention to is that if you try to install an old macOS / OS X version from a dmg disk image is to get a fresh image from apple.
The installation signature on the old image might have expired and then you get a pretty cryptic/useless error message while trying to run the installer.

I don't know if the following links still work, but you used to be able to get a fresh copy via:

Good luck!
--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
donnyh02
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, Sorry for the lack of information. I followed the info from someone else in the thread

Can't install Mac OS Sierra to new virtual Machine turned out I needed to create an ISO from the Installer instead of dmg. I found the ISO info here:

https://osxdaily.com/2020/07/20/how-convert-macos-installer-iso/ Once I started the creation of the new VM with the ISO, it went very smoothly.

I really appreciate the help in both Messages.

0 Kudos