VMware Communities
Sébastien
Contributor
Contributor

Crash with TI USB

I am having problems with vmware crashing my system after loading drivers for my TI USB Debuger (MSP-FET430UIF). This was a problem in the beta as well that seems to have not been resolved. If someone could tell me how I can log that crash and who to send it to at vmware it would be appreciated. I'm not really interrested in buying support if I don't know the problem will be fixed.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
taurerm
Contributor
Contributor

I am having similar issues with nearly any USB device I connect with USB 2.0. When writing to to USB 2.0 devices, Fusion crashes. There is a workaround: don't mount the USB device on the guest operating system (Windows XP in my case) but leave it mounted in OSX. Then share this device as a VMWare shared folder. That works well in production for me....

0 Kudos
Harliv
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you have purchased Fusion you are entitled to 30 days of free support and can file a Service Request. You will need to register your serial number in our store.

If you are running a trial version and/or just wish to file a bug report, please use the following:

http://www.vmware.com/support/support_feedback.html

0 Kudos
Sébastien
Contributor
Contributor

Well, what type of guarantee do I have that it'll be resolved if I buy a license? This is the only thing I need fusion for so if it can't handle it I have no use for it sadly. I'm willing to buy a license and go through support if I can at least return the license at the end if it didn't work out.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I don't see an option for Fusion on that link, can it get added (and in the meantime, what should people use)?

0 Kudos
Sébastien
Contributor
Contributor

Well I filled out the help request on that form and never got a reply. Is my only option to buy vmware and hope the issue gets resolved? Being so far ignored doesn't instil much confidence as I'm sure you can imagine Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Well, the form does say "We will contact you only if further information is needed". Another option is to not buy Fusion until the issue gets resolved (depending on how critical this issue is for you and how much you'd use Fusion otherwise). I've pinged people internally about this issue - you're not being ignored, there's just no external feedback (difference that makes no difference, I know...)

0 Kudos
Sébastien
Contributor
Contributor

Can I do something to speed this up? If I buy vmware will it help speed it up? I can send vmware a piece of hardware and links to the free software to test it, it's quite small like a usb thumb drive.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I don't think buying Fusion will speed up the process. Sending the hardware might help if it's hard to find, but Pat Lee would be the person to talk to about this.

0 Kudos
Sébastien
Contributor
Contributor

It's easy to get from Texas Instruments. They often give it away, if not they sell for about 20 bucks US. How would I get in touch with Pat Lee?

I know that this was being worked on, I even managed to get it working one day with boot camp so decided to install vmware in an image (and pre-maturely deleted my boot camp partition to save space) but that doesn't work.

As a side note, can I run fusion disk images from windows vmware?

0 Kudos
Sébastien
Contributor
Contributor

Here's the tool that can be used for testing this bug.

http://focus.ti.com/docs/toolsw/folders/print/ez430-f2013.html

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

How would I get in touch with Pat Lee?

You could try PMing him.

As a side note, can I run fusion disk images from

windows vmware?

Fusion should run virtual machines created in other VMware products. The other way around should also work if you're using a compatible virtual hardware version (see Getting Started guide, page 10 - e.g. Workstation 6 or Player 2). If you're using an older product, you'll need to downgrade the virtual hardware first (Fusion can't do this, but WS6 can). Watch out for product-specific features or host-specific paths.

0 Kudos
Neben
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Your service request has been logged in our bug database. Unfortunately, I can't comment on when/if a fix will be available for you, but I can say that we do take host kernel panics very seriously.

0 Kudos