VMware Communities
ninabk87
Contributor
Contributor

'Could not open /dev/vmmon: No such file or directory' error after updating to Yosemite

Help! I recently updated my iOS to Yosemite the other day and now I can not open my Windows 7 VM. Everything was working perfectly before then so I'd have to assume that this error coincides with the update.

The error messages, in order, said this:

• Could not open /dev/vmmon: No such file or directory
  • Failed to initialize monitor device.
  • Cannot find a valid peer process to connect to

Anyone else experience this problem? If so, how did you fix it? I'm desperate! I've attached my support document and when running the command "ls -ld /dev /dev/vmmon" through Terminal, I got the following output:

nina-sfgroove:~ nina$ ls -ld /dev /dev/vmmon

ls: /dev/vmmon: No such file or directory

dr-xr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  4198 Nov 10 02:38 /dev

nina-sfgroove:~ nina$

Any help is much appreciated!!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
hyan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Ninaabk87,

Welcome to Fusion community~!

"Log for VMware Fusion pid=1257 version=5.0.5 build=build-1945692 option=Release"

From your log files, I discovered you are running Fusion 5.0.5 on Yosemite, that right? If so, please upgrade your Fusion to latest version(6.0.5/7.0.1), because Fusion 5 is not supported on Yosemite.

For your problem, you could refer these topics to resolve:

https://communities.vmware.com/message/2441609#2441609

https://communities.vmware.com/message/2169234#2169234

Thanks,

Harry

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

I'm sorry to inform you that Fusion 5.x does not work under OS X Yosemite.

Fusion 5.x End Of General Support was on 2014/08/23, before the release of Yosemite.

You can look at Product Life Cycle Matrix for the exact dates.

It is highly unlikely that VMware releases an update to a product that has been retired.

You can roll back from Yosemite to Mavericks if you want to continue to use Fusion 5.x or update to a newer supported version.

If you want to test the newer version to see if it is worth your spending you can install and run a 30 day fully functional version before actually committing to spending anything.

After the 30 days, you buy a license to change the installed Fusion into an unlimited version.

Direct Download link to Fusion evaluation

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos