VMware Communities
William_2019
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Could not open /dev/vmmon: Broken pipe.

Upgrade Macbook pro 10.15, the windows 10 does not open has error Could not open /dev/vmmon: Broken pipe..

any way can repair that.

THanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

First thing to try is to reboot your mac.

If that doesn't work, how about telling us which version of VMware Fusion you are using?

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

First thing to try is to reboot your mac.

If that doesn't work, how about telling us which version of VMware Fusion you are using?

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
William_2019
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Wila, I use Version 11.5.0, and check the pricy has setup correct.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

You would have to allow the kernel extensions from VMware.

With Catalina there's a bunch of things you have to allow nowadays.

If you already tried rebooting your host and that didn't help. Then the first thing i would try is to drag VMware Fusion to the bin/trash from /Applications and then install it again.

Still no good?

Have a look at this thread:

Re: New installation of Vmware fusion 11 pro on macos Mojave Could not open /dev/vmmon: Broken pipe

--

Wil

0 Kudos
William_2019
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

allow.jpg

issue fixed, thanks. click this allow button,

0 Kudos
PDS2020
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same error message after restoring from Time Machine Backup. 

After reading some notes, I see the problem may be fixed by reinstalling VMFusion, however the download files are no longer showing in my products. I am using Version  11.5.7   #HELP

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Download from here:
https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/downloads/details?downloadGroup=FUS-1157&productId=798&rPId=55757

That however might still not fix the issue as apple changes their security rules every now & then.

Other people who recently posted this issue for 11.5.7 on macOS Catalina (or earlier) needed to do more.
AFAIK the following always worked:

Delete the /private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement folder and reboot. After rebooting and starting VMware the folder will be recreated with the correct permissions.

--
Wil

QualityX
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Solved! Putting the "KernelExtensionManagement" (/private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement) in the trash (it will be recreated on reboot) and rebooting solves the issue on Mojave 10.14.6  / Vmware Fusion Pro 11.5.7

Root cause: System Integrity Protection prevents VMware Fusion from starting kernel extensions due to miss-configured permittions on "KernelExtensionManagement".
as the result you'll get error msg on attempt to start VM: "Could not open /dev/vmmon: Broken pipe. Please make sure that the kernel module `vmmon' is loaded"

I've tried all other solutions mentioned above, but non worked for me.

0 Kudos