Mojave 10.14.6

Suggestions?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Does this help?

https://www.techcrumble.net/2019/07/could-not-open-dev-vmmon-broken-pipe-vmware-fusion-macos-mojave-...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Try Scott's solution first.
If that doesn't help, then you can follow these steps:

Delete the /private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement folder and reboot.
After rebooting and starting VMware the folder will be recreated with the correct permissions.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
mintymiller2
Contributor
Contributor

After tearing my hair out trying to find a solution to the broken pipe problem, I restarted in recovery mode and disabled system integrity. On rebooting, the VM booted just fine, confirming  security/permissions  at the heart of the problem. But I don't like disabling system integrity, so as Scott suggested, I deleted the ExtensionManagement folder, rebooted into recovery mode, re-enabled system integrity and rebooted once again. Now VMWare works as it should. No more broken pipe error! My problem arose after cloning my account to another Mac. VMWare worked fine on the source Mac but not on the new Mac. And I wasn't seeing the security alert in system preferences that dominates the posts on solutions to this annoying problem. However, on rebooting after enabling system integrity, I was asked to approve VMWare without me even having to open sys prefs, so deleting the ExtensionManagement folder reset the permissions as Scott indicated and voila! It's reminded me of the days of classic MacOS when trashing a preference would often fix a sticky problem with an 'app'. Nothing's changed it seems, although considering how common this problem appears to be, VMWare should be doing more to help people solve it! For the less technically minded, a simple script should achieve the folder deletion reset.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Humm.. open terminal and run:

rm -rf /private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement

and if that doesn't work:

sudo rm -rf /private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement

Be careful not to add any additional space characters as that could cause trouble.

I will update my notes to be more specific.

--
Wil (now also known as Scott)

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
mintymiller2
Contributor
Contributor

The problem's fixed so why would I do that?  Does 

rm -rf /private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement

offer the same fix without having to trash the folder? I'm no command line expert.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

So sorry, not steps for you. As you said, your problem is solved.
That's the command line for deleting the folder.

Those steps are for the next person who happens to find this post.

--
Wil

0 Kudos