VMware Communities
Hawkcode
Contributor
Contributor

Copy XP VM

In parellels there is an option to copy a VM. How does one do it in VMware Fusion?

Thanks

Rich

0 Kudos
17 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

In the Finder. A virtual machine is just a (set of) files, so use the normal ways of interacting with files.

0 Kudos
Hawkcode
Contributor
Contributor

How do you change name of VM?

Rich

0 Kudos
bobfritts
Contributor
Contributor

I tried copying the Virtual machine folder after shutting down the VM, but get errors so I am unable to complete the copy operation. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Edit the .vmx file which lives inside the .vmwarevm bundle, look for the line that says displayName. The developers are aware that it'd be nice to have a UI to do this.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What sort of errors? Any obvious causes (not enough space, no permissions, etc.)?

0 Kudos
chetman
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue. I want to preserve a baseline fresh XP install for testing, so I copied my Baseline XP.vmwarevm bundle in the Finder and restarted Fusion.

However, Fusion doesn't see the new VM. The list includes only the VMs created within Fusion. Why is this? What gives? Have I really preserved a baseline by copying the VM bundle, or is some other step required? I can't "trust" this process until I've seen the saved "snapshot VM" boot...

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

However, Fusion doesn't see the new VM. The list

includes only the VMs created within Fusion. Why is

this? What gives? Have I really preserved a baseline

by copying the VM bundle, or is some other step

required?

This is expected. Fusion doesn't scan you hard drive for virtual machines, it just remembers the ones you've told it about. You can tell Fusion about the copy by dragging it from the Finder to the Virtual Machine Library.

I can't "trust" this process until I've

seen the saved "snapshot VM" boot...

Good idea. To be really safe, you need to make sure it doesn't reference anything in the original virtual machine (e.g. try running the copy on a different computer). I don't think anything you do in the UI can cause this, but it's possible to manually change the virtual machine where this might be a concern.

0 Kudos
chetman
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, that part works, but if I open it it still has the original name. How do I change the name?

Honestly, it would be much simpler if Fusion just supported an internal clone-and-copy functionality.

0 Kudos
getwired
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

1: Find the bundle you want to rename

2: Using the context menu (right-click/ctrl+click), choose Show Package Contents[/b]

3: Find the file named with a .vmx file extension.

4: Right-click/ctrl+click, choose Open With...[/b], select TextEdit (or whatever other text editor you've got handy)

5: Find the line that starts with displayName[/b] and change the value in quotes to reflect what you want your new one to be.

6: Save it and you're done.

0 Kudos
Hawkcode
Contributor
Contributor

OK I just discovered something, the .vmwarevm file isn't the actual VM, it points to another directory (where I put my converted Parellels files).

So to copy you need to copy both, the .vmwarevm and the actual files it points to Correct.

And what file do you drag into VMware Fusion to make it see the copied VM?

Thanks

Rich

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

>OK I just discovered something, the .vmwarevm file isn't the actual VM, it points to another directory

Actually, the .vmwarevm is NOT a file, but IS a directory. It's your dumbed-down OS trying to decide how to show you your files... and actually confusing the heck out of you.

>And what file do you drag into VMware Fusion to make it see the copied VM?

The copied .vmx file, located in the copied folder.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

>And what file do you drag into VMware Fusion to make

it see the copied VM?

The copied .vmx file, located in the copied folder.

Dragging the entire .vmwarevm bundle to Fusion should also work.

0 Kudos
Hawkcode
Contributor
Contributor

If I Copy the .vmwarevm it's going to copy the files it points to also. I'm sorry but to my way of thinking I will have to copy both the vmwarevm file and the directory to which it points, is this wrong?

Is it set up differant if the VM is original and not from Parelles?

I am confused, Windows switcher back in Jan.

Thanks for all this help!

Rich

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The .vmwarevm bundle contains files, it doesn't point to them, at least in the default case. Copying the vmwarevm bundle copies all the contents. You can check this by creating a small text file or a new folder in the copy - it shouldn't show up in the original.

0 Kudos
Hawkcode
Contributor
Contributor

I know it contains files, but in the bundle there is a vmx file that contains the line:

scsi0:0.fileName = "/Users/Rich/Documents/VMMachines/RSAVM1/RSAVM1.vmdk"

That is a diverant path than to the bundle:

Macintosh HD:Users:Rich:Documents:Virtual Machines:XP1VMW.vmwarevm

So that is why I'm confused.

Rich

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Oh, yeah, in that case you'll want to copy that as well. I'm pretty sure this can't happen by default, though, which is why I mentioned the possibility but didn't elaborate.

If you don't have other constraints, you might want to put that vmdk inside the bundle and change the path to be relative to encapsulate things more neatly.

0 Kudos
Hawkcode
Contributor
Contributor

So I could put all the files in to the Package? That makes sense. I will try that later today.

Rich

0 Kudos