VMware Communities
pixartia
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Copy-Paste / file sharing between Ventura and Windows 11 ARM doesn't work

Hi  everyone, 

discovered that Copy/Paste between macOS Ventura and Windows 11 ARM doesn't function properly.

I gave up after many reinstalls of VMware tools. The same - for files ands folders drag and drop...

May be there's some workaround to solve this issue? Also cannot find where I could report this problem to VMware.

Any suggestions are welcome here and thank you in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pixartia
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just found an unofficial paper from VMware here

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Documents/The-Unofficial-Fusion-13-for-Apple-Silicon...

So these functions aren't working by default. 

Hope they'll be activated soon.

Fusion 13 running on Apple Silicon Macs does not implement the following features found on Fusion 13 running on Intel Macs: • Import and export of .ova and .ovf files • Conversion of virtual machines from Parallels • Virtual printers • Nested virtualization (Apple hardware and API restriction) • Copy/Paste and Drag/Drop for Windows 11 ARM virtual machines • Fusion shared folders for Windows 11 ARM virtual machines • 3D accelerated graphics for Windows 11 ARM virtual machines • Virtualization of any version of macOS

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
pixartia
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just found an unofficial paper from VMware here

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Documents/The-Unofficial-Fusion-13-for-Apple-Silicon...

So these functions aren't working by default. 

Hope they'll be activated soon.

Fusion 13 running on Apple Silicon Macs does not implement the following features found on Fusion 13 running on Intel Macs: • Import and export of .ova and .ovf files • Conversion of virtual machines from Parallels • Virtual printers • Nested virtualization (Apple hardware and API restriction) • Copy/Paste and Drag/Drop for Windows 11 ARM virtual machines • Fusion shared folders for Windows 11 ARM virtual machines • 3D accelerated graphics for Windows 11 ARM virtual machines • Virtualization of any version of macOS
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The only current workaround that the community has discovered is to use a Remote Desktop session into the VM. That will allow copy/paste to the VM.

This requires the VM to be running Windows 11 Pro or Enterprise, as Remote Desktop sessions are not supported by Microsoft for Windows 11 Home. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
pixartia
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot for your suggestion! 🤗

0 Kudos
ElCet
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There is another workaround: use Parallels Desktop.

I'm using VMware Fusion since more than 10 years, but I think I'll switch to Parallels Desktop. My brother is using it since about 2 months and it works. VMware makes no effort at all to deliver a decent application. Or maybe it just isn't capable of it.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The post you replied to is almost a year and a half old now. In the mean time, VMware released Fusion 13.5 in October of 2023 that includes the missing copy/paste/drag/drop feature as well as DX11 3D acceleration

You are not alone in wanting to switch to Parallels Desktop, and I can't blame you. There are other discussions that can be had about the user base's unease about VMware's commitment to their desktop virtualization products (which by the way started long before Broadcom's acquisition). VMware is still late with filling in WIndows 11 features such as supporting shared folders and the quality of their 3D implementation.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos