VMware Communities
haymaker1982
Contributor
Contributor

Converting Physical OSX server to Virtual Server (to be used with VM FUSION)

Hi Everyone, thanks for taking the time to read my post.

I have a dilemma, I have a client that uses a custom application that is critical to their business. The application runs on a combination of a Windows Server 2003 / Mac OSX server platform, each server hosts critical roles and they are dependant on each other.

I have had great success converting (P2V) with PC / Linux servers, I have yet to attempt a MacOSX Server conversion; in fact I am a bit confused on where to start.

I have read up on VM Fusion; it looks like if I can get the current MacOSX Server (physical) converted into a VM I can then buy a new Apple server, install Fusion and host both the PC Server VM and the newly converted MacOSX Server VM.

So here is my dilemma, I am hoping I can get some clarification on these items:

1. How would I go about converting the physical OSX server to a VM compatible format? Is there a converter for Mac?

2. Would I use an imaging software on the Mac and then apply that image to a blank VMDK in Fusion (if so what software / process should I use).

3. If I am able to convert the physical OSX server into a working VM, would I be able to install VM Fusion on a new Apple server and mount / run both a PC VM and a MAC VM at the same time?

We are in a real dilemma here as this application no longer has support, the vendor has gone under. If I can find a way to virtualize both and host them on a new APPLE server I should be in good shape.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!!!!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

1. How would I go about converting the physical OSX server to a VM compatible format? Is there a converter for Mac?

2. Would I use an imaging software on the Mac and then apply that image to a blank VMDK in Fusion (if so what software / process should I use).

You were already given the answer to 1 & 2 in September when you asked about this before.

3. If I am able to convert the physical OSX server into a working VM, would I be able to install VM Fusion on a new Apple server and mount / run both a PC VM and a MAC VM at the same time?

Generally speaking yes however not knowing any of the specifics surrounding the requirements for this no longer supported application that requires both Mac OS X Server and Microsoft Server I can't say yes beyond a shadow of a doubt.

0 Kudos
haymaker1982
Contributor
Contributor

I've hit a wall, the OSX server I am trying to virtualize is 10.4.11; is there an platform that can virtualize pre OSX 4.5 MAC server OS?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

IIRC You can only legally virtualize Mac OS X Server 10.5.0 and later and anything prior to that you're violating the Apple SLA for that product.

0 Kudos
haymaker1982
Contributor
Contributor

Is there any other virtualization products that can run 10.4.x OS in a virtual environment, even if we were to use it for educational purposes?

Or is my best bet to build a 10.5 or 10.6 VM, migrate the data and apps?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Is there any other virtualization products that can run 10.4.x OS in a virtual environment, even if we were to use it for educational purposes?

I do not knowingly help people violate EULA's or SLA's and it is also a violation of the VMware Communities Terms of Use to discuss or solicit help with illicit activities.

Or is my best bet to build a 10.5 or 10.6 VM, migrate the data and apps?

That's what I'd do.

0 Kudos
haymaker1982
Contributor
Contributor

Hey, I am more than appreciative; I apologize if I insinuated that, it was not my intention. I was merely asking if we could do this as a POC in an education atmosphere, it was for an archived server that will be tossed away anyways.

I appreciate your assistance and for taking the time to reply to my questions; I now know how to Virtualize Apple Servers and what to be cautious of legally when attempting to do so.

Thanks again everyone for assisting me with this post and my previous posts.

0 Kudos