VMware Communities
tirmidi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Converted Parallels VM for use on Fusion--Maddeningly close

I have successfully converted my large Parallels VM to work in Fusion, but cannot quite get it working for the following reasons:

1) Fusion apparently regards the converted virtual hard drive as SCSI :smileyalert: rather than IDE, and wants me to load new drivers, which I so far have not found--though the old ones apparently work.

2) The mouse doesn't work at all within the VM once the boot process commences, though the keyboard does. Moreover, Windows immediately demands reactivation (surprise, surprise), and won't load the GUI until I do so, returning me continually to to same demand if I select "no". Thus I cannot autodetect the proper mouse drivers. Moreover, I cannot install the VMWare tools, which would presumably fix the problem.

By booting into safe mode, I've determined that the old Parallels mouse driver persists in the converted VM, although I removed Parallels Tools before conversion; efforts to find a new one on the disk within safe mode came to naught.

3) Normally, I would boot from the CD and do a repair install to get all the drivers sorted. However, the CD refuses to mount. If I force it to mount after interrupting the boot process, and then boot from it directly, the install program cannot find a hard drive, presumably because it doesn't have the proper SCSI drivers.

So it would appear that there are two short paths to a solution:

a) I could edit the .vmx file to properly mount the CD together with the HD, if only I knew how to do so. My experiments have come to naught because I do not know the proper syntax.

b) I could manually load the proper SCSI drivers during the CD boot process if only I knew where they were and how to make them accessible; perhaps I could slipsteam a new CD?

The longer path, of course, would be to alter the converter so it sorts this out, for which a vote is hereby cast.

Any help that could be leant would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
22 Replies
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Since this has happened at least twice, I've filed support request SR #346864 on supporting the editing of VMware Fusion .vmx files with TextEdit.

0 Kudos
tirmidi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well, much to my astonishment, and with the generous help of rcardona2K and others in this forum, I have successfully migrated my Parallels XP SP2 VM to Fusion, from within which I am writing now. I even installed VMWare Tools!

It is a tedious process and requires some extra-marital fiddling. I'll try to document it after I finish wiping the sweat off my brow.

Thanks to all, and to all a good night!

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Congratulations! I'm sure you're the envy of some of the folks who want to migrate their Parallels VMs to Fusion. There is definitely more than way to successfully[/i] skin that cat! Post your writeup in a new thread, appropriately titled, as I'm sure that generate its own new set of issues for people wanting to following it.

0 Kudos