VMware Communities
serrnovik
Contributor
Contributor

Convert hds to vmdk or othervise migrate to vmware?

Hi, I have a parallels desktop virtual pc image. It is not originally my image, I've got it from a collegue for some testing. As I've tried to import it on my VMWare fusion, but that didn't work.

Screen Shot 2013-08-14 at 12.18.09 PM.png

I've got this error after some time fusion was doing something.

I've downloaded trial of parallels desktop to make sure this is image is ok. I'm sure it is not corrupt or something like that.

I've tried to run vCenter converter. It does not recognise virtual pc config file nor it offers me a way to convert just vitrual disk.

image.png

Just pointing VM in Windows vmware player didn't word also:

image (1).png

I've tried to search on this forum and googled, but looks like people doesnot want or do not have this problems converting.

Can anyone help me to solve this issue?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

serrnovik wrote: I've downloaded trial of parallels desktop to make sure this is image is ok. I'm sure it is not corrupt or something like that.

Were you able to successfully run the Parallels Virtual Machine under Parallels?

0 Kudos
serrnovik
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. On the same mac, from the same image.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Then install VMware vCenter Converter Standalone in Windows inside the Virtual Machine and try converting from there.

0 Kudos
serrnovik
Contributor
Contributor

Could you please clarify what does it mean " inside the Virtual Machine". As you can see from second screenshoot I've tried to install and use VMware vCenter Converter Standalone. But it shows me error right after I select VM configuration file.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

There really is nothing to clarify as I was already explicit and specific however with the Windows Parallels Virtual Machine running under Parallels install VMware vCenter Converter Standalone in Windows inside the Virtual Machine and create a Virtual Machine just as if you'd installed VMware vCenter Converter Standalone in Windows running on a Physical Machine! Smiley Wink

serrnovik
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your answer. Now I can see what you are talking about. As I installed converter on another laptop it confused me a little bit. Sounds like a very good Idea. I'll try it tommorow.

0 Kudos