VMware Communities
DownbeatDave
Contributor
Contributor

Convert Windows Parallels 4 to Fusion 2 - THE EASY WAY

This method requires you to have the older Parallels 3, so if you upgraded to Parallels 4, you should still have it around. IT DOES NOT USE THE VMWARE CONVERTER!

(1) Use the Windows Control Panel to uninstall Parallels Tools from the system on the Parallels 4 disk image you want to use in Fusion 2, and then Shut Down Windows normally.

(2) Use the Parallels Image Tool v.4 to "Convert to the Old Format" the disk image you you want to use in Fusion 2.

(3) Start up Parallels 3 and create a new Virtual Machine with the now old format disk image you want to use in Fusion 2. Start up Windows and Shut Down normally.

(4) You now have a Parallels 3 Virtual Machine that you can Import into Fusion 2.

Good Luck!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

IMO It's just easier to use VMware vCenter Converter Starter Edition) on a Parallels Desktop 4 for Mac Virtual Machine.

0 Kudos
DownbeatDave
Contributor
Contributor

I saw your posts recommending the Converter, so I tried it a couple of times. The Converter made it about an hour through my 40GB Parallels 4 NTFS virtual disk, but then kept aborting after coming up with a message that it couldn't continue.

So this is an alternative that was faster and worked for me.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I saw your posts recommending the Converter, so I tried it a couple of times. The Converter made it about an hour through my 40GB Parallels 4 NTFS virtual disk, but then kept aborting after coming up with a message that it couldn't continue.

So this is an alternative that was faster and worked for me.

Hey whatever works for you is what you should do however under normal circumstances there should be no problem using VMware vCenter Converter (Starter Edition) on a Parallels Desktop 4 for Mac Virtual Machine and your solution while viable for you is not viable if one doesn't also have the previous version and I'm just saying that using VMware vCenter Converter should be a faster easier process under normal circumstances, that all.

0 Kudos