VMware Communities
chaddy
Contributor
Contributor

Constant "kernel[0]: HgfsBd_Dispatch: RpcOut_send returned failure" Errors

I have two Intel xServes OSX 10.5.7 server running VMWare Fusion 2.0.4, each has one copy of OSX 10.5.7 server running as a guest OS. In both cases the guest OSX OS throws "kernel[0]: HgfsBd_Dispatch: RpcOut_send returned failure" errors every minute in the system log. What is this? I've googled and found some references but no solutions.

Thanks,

-Chad

0 Kudos
8 Replies
shrop
Contributor
Contributor

I am not sure what this is yet, but I am getting the same message on OS X Server 10.5.7 running VMWare Fusion 2.0.4.

0 Kudos
chaddy
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone have any ideas?

-Chad

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We are investigating.

Does it prevent you from using Shared Folders, or is it just the annoyance to see these messages in your logs?

0 Kudos
shrop
Contributor
Contributor

I don't use shared folders on my server VMs for security reasons. I can test turn on shared folders on a test server if you want me to test it out.

I haven't noticed any issues because of the error message os right now it is an annoyance and made me a bit nervous since I wasn't sure what the error meant.

Thank for checking it out!

Shrop

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I don't use shared folders on my server VMs for security reasons.

Makes sense.

I can test turn on shared folders on a test server if you want me to test it out.

It would be very nice if you could try that. Just to see if the messages then go away.

Thank for checking it out!

Thanks for reporting the issue in the first place!

0 Kudos
shrop
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry my comment about testing was so incoherent. Smiley Happy I think I said test like 4 times in that sentance.

I picked one of our test VMs and turn on file sharing for our Data volume. The messages went away when that was turned on. They reappeared as soon as I disabled file sharing.

Jun 22 10:58:12 hostname kernel[0]: HgfsBd_Dispatch: RpcOut_send returned failure

• file sharing on during this time period *

Jun 22 11:06:25 hostname kernel[0]: HgfsBd_Dispatch: RpcOut_send returned failure

Hope this helps..thanks!

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We can reproduce the issue. We confirm it is harmless.

For now, if you have disabled Shared Folders and you want to make the messages go away from your logs, we recommend that you simply:

1) Temporary solution

Unmount /Volumes/VMware Shared Folders

2) Permanent solution

Comment out the line which mounts /Volumes/VMware Shared Folders in /Library/Application Support/VMware Tools/services.sh . Then restart your VM.

0 Kudos
shrop
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks so much for the follow up. As long as this doesn't cause us any server instability, I am good. I always have your solutions in case I just don't want to see these messages in the log. I think I will leave it for now though.

FYI. we are now running 4 VMWare Fusion OSX Leopard Server VMs on one Xserve. Still plenty of headroom. It is amazing...

Thanks!

Shrop

0 Kudos