VMware Communities
maverick808
Contributor
Contributor

Constant crash on 24" iMac

I posted about this same crash in Beta 3 and I'm still getting it in Beta 4. Fusion simply can not boot my copy of Windows XP on my boot camp partition. Every time I try to boot it blue screens early in the boot. It blue screens with exactly the same error if I try to do a safe boot as well. This problem occurs on my 2.16GHz 24" iMac with 3GB RAM. I previously had 2GB RAM and it was crashing the same way then too.

Parallels 3.0 and the last Parallels 2 boot this partition fine with no problems. The partition also boots directly if I restart and boot off it. Fusion works fine on my MacBook Pro, which has the same setup of XP on the boot camp partition.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what's going wrong?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Please try the following:

1) Go to ~\Library\Application Support\VMware Fusion\ and delete the virtual machines folder

2) Go to Startup Disk and reboot into Windows

3) After you boot into Windows, then boot back into the Mac

4) Launch VMware Fusion, select Boot Camp partition and click Run

5) Do you see the VMware Fusion dialog saying that it is preparing the Boot Camp partition the first time? If so, does it boot into into VMware Fusion in this case or does it still blue screen?

Thanks,

Pat

0 Kudos
maverick808
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I tried it and I saw the preparing Boot Camp partition message but it still blue screens. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
jim_gill
Expert
Expert

Thank you for posting about your problem, and especially for the screen shot.

Error code 7B is "Inaccessible boot device" and it means Windows didn't have a driver installed that could access your hard disk from within the VM. Installing that driver (and one for the mouse/keyboard) is what the "Preparing boot camp partition" is trying to do.

It would help us improve the process if you could post two pieces of information that will show us what went wrong, and then I can help you get that driver installed while Windows is running under Apple's boot camp.

The log can be accessed from the Mac: open the Finder to your home folder and navigate to Library\Application Support\VMware Fusion\Virtual Machines\Helper and select "Show Package Contents" for the bundle "naos-1.0.vmwarem". Inside that package is a file vmware.log, and it contains a log of the Preparation process. Could you post that log for me?

The second piece of information that would help is from the Windows registry. Restart your system with Boot Camp and run regedit. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SYSTEM | CurrentControlSet | Services | IntelIde, right click that key, and select "Export". This will save the contents of the key into a .reg file which you can post. If you don't have an IntelIde key, that's the reason your system won't start under Fusion, and please let me know if that's the case (the log from the previous step should show this too).

You can install and configure the driver while Windows runs under Boot Camp. To do this, we'll extract the drivers from your driver cache, copy them into the Windows system32 folder, and update the registry so they load on boot. In detail, do this:

1) Step one is to extract the files intelide.sys and i8042prt.sys from \Windows\Driver Cache\i386\sp2.cab. Recent versions of WinZip can open cab files, and this is the easiest method. If you don't have WinZip, open a command prompt, cd to the \Windows\Driver Cache\i386 folder, and use the Microsoft expand program:

c:\Windows\Driver Cache\i386> expand sp2.cab -F:intelide.sys .

c:\Windows\Driver Cache\i386> expand sp2.cab -Fi8042prt.sys .

2) Copy the two files (intelide.sys and i8042prt.sys) into your \Windows\System32 folder.

3) Download the attached 'bootcamp.reg.zip' file which updates the Windows registry to add references to the IDE, mouse, and keyboard required for the virtual hardware.

4) Unzip the attachment, then double click on the 'bootcamp.reg' file.

5) When asked to "Are you sure you want to add the information in C:(path to file) to the registry?", click Yes.

5) If successfully added, the Windows Registry Editor will say "Information in C:(path to file) has been successfully entered into the registry." and click OK.

6) Restart the computer and boot off the Mac partition.

7) Launch VMware Fusion and open your Boot Camp partition virtual machine, which should no longer blue screen or have issues with the keyboard or mouse.

0 Kudos
maverick808
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for replying. It's great to know this problem is being investigated. I have attached the log and regkey you asked for. The intelide key was already in my registry. After I took the logs I went through the 7 steps you gave to install the two drivers. Unfortunately, I am still getting the blue screen with the same error code.

Please let me know if you want anymore information at all, as I am anxious to sort this problem out and get Fusion working.

Much thanks.

0 Kudos
jim_gill
Expert
Expert

Thank you very much for posting the log. I can see that the preparation step saw that your XP system already had both intelide and i8042prt.sys drivers, as the .reg file you posted confirms.

What model of Mac do you have? Perhaps we can duplicate the issue in-house. Are you also running Parallels 3.0? I'm not aware of any boot-camp related incompatibilities from the forum but I haven't examined the 3.0 version yet myself.

If something is rolling back the registry changes that would be curious. I'd appreciate it if you could repeat the steps from my previous post that involved running regedit and repost the .reg file you get. That will tell me if the drivers were configured to start after you ran the bootcamp.reg file that I posted.

0 Kudos
maverick808
Contributor
Contributor

I have attached the requested registry key after reimporting the bootcamp.reg file.

I am experiencing this problem on my 24" iMac, 2.16GHz iMac with 3GB RAM and 256MB VRAM.

Yes, I am using Parallels 3.0. However, I have had this problem since I installed Fusion beta 3, and at that time I was using version 2.5 of Parallels, and 3.0 wasn't even out. So this problem has been around since well before Parallels 3.0 done anything to my drive.

Tonight I am going to wipe the partition and install Vista anyway. Before I do that I will try reinstalling XP on the fresh partition to see if it's something funny with the current XP install or if there is a problem with this model of iMac. I'll let you know how it goes.

0 Kudos
maverick808
Contributor
Contributor

When I wiped the partition and reinstalled XP it worked fine. I guess it was something very peculiar in my Boot Camp partition. The partition had been set up with Boot Camp 1.0 and used with basically every Parallels and Fusion beta that's been out so it's highly probable that something done something funny along the way.

Anyway, it does work fine on my 24" iMac now.

0 Kudos
kcprevas
Contributor
Contributor

I'm also receiving the message about the preprocessing not being successful. I've attached my vmware.log.

0 Kudos
metagroboliser
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here. Fusion 4.1 + BootCamp 1.3 is failing the preprocessing step. More details in this thread ... http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=91075&tstart=0

0 Kudos
trentg
Contributor
Contributor

same exact problem here on my MBP. I already had the sp2.cab drivers mentioned by Jill in the correct location. I rebooted into windows and ran the reg file and it successfully added. I then rebooted into OS X and trashed my Boot camp folder in the ~/Library/Application Support/VMWare Fusion/Virtual Machines/ and tried to start again.

OS X 10.4.10 Fusion Version 1.0 (51348) MBP 17" Core Duo

null

0 Kudos
trentg
Contributor
Contributor

log

0 Kudos
Andy_Bower
Contributor
Contributor

I had the exact same problem booting Fusion from my Boot Camp XP partition on a 20" iMac. None of the solutions suggested here appeared to work.

However, I removed Acronis TrueImage when booted in Boot Camp and then restarted under OSX. I then removed the ~Library/Applications Support/VMWare Fusion/Virtual Machines folder and tried Fusion again. Bingo! It all now starts okay.

Best regards

Andy Bower

0 Kudos