VMware Communities
GrabowAshton
Contributor
Contributor

Connecting USB devices directly to VM

When i try to connect a second keyboard and mouse to a VM via the removeable devices tab the option to disconnect from host is grayed out and i am unable to click it, this was not like this yesterday, any ideas how to fix this?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Could you post some details about both the host Mac and the virtual machine (LInux/Windows, what version), as well as details about what types of keyboard/mouse are you trying to connect.

"It was not like this yesterday" has me asking the question: did anything change between when it worked and when it didn't? For example, updates to the host Mac or updates to the VM's operating system.

My first thought is that the devices are getting claimed by macOS as HID-type devices and Fusion is virtualizing them as it does the system keyboard/mouse as the virtual keyboard/mouse it presents to the VM. As an example, I connected a USB mouse to my Mac that has Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and the device isn't seen in the Fusion USB menus as a device that can be attached. Yet the mouse does work in the VM the same as my primary mouse.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

A bit of research turned this up

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1033435

I tried it with my USB mouse and it's now able to be seen in the USB menus to connect to the VM.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos