VMware Communities
alcoutinho
Contributor
Contributor

Connect to a Wireless display

Hi everyone.

I'm running windows 10 guest on Mac OS Big Sur Host (Fusion 12.1.1). I need to mirror my display on a LG Smart TV for some training and presentations at my office. I've tried the regular steps for projection on Windows 10 and it doesn't show me the options to connect to a Wireless display. I'm even using a dedicated Wi-Fi USB dongle for the Windows 10 guest but still can't get it to work. It works fine for all other PCs running Windows 10 (bare metal) but using it as a VM doesn't work. Does anyone have any ideas on how to have it working?
Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
drigoslkx
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I'm having the same problem

Did you find any fix for that?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

I suspect it is because the virtual GPU in the VM does NOT suport HDCP. Before you jump up and down and protest "But I have a full HD/4K resolution display!!!", HDCP stands for High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection and it has nothing to do with screen resolution but everything to do with encrypting the content being transmitted (whether via cable or wirelessly via WiFi). A cursory inspection of Miracast (the standard for transmitting content via WiFi) does make use of HDCP.

On a physical laptop that supports HDCP, this returns the support while a VMware VM fails. Use a Chromium-based browser such as Chrome or Edge for this.
https://googlechrome.github.io/samples/hdcp-detection/

So until the virtual GPU of the VMware VM starts supporting HDCP, connecting to a wireless display won't be possible. Don't hold your breath for HDCP feature to come to VMware VMs.

Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

How about Fusion 13.5 (requires Monterey or later) and using its multiple monitor support?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos