VMware Communities
Arantis
Contributor
Contributor

Connect host only network to another network

Hi all,

i'm currently working in Fusion 6 and i installed an VM with Windows Server 2008 that is working in host only mode.

I also installed a VM with Windows 7 with a host only mode. The Windows Server is a DHCP Server and the Client gets the DHCP address by the Windows Server.

I added another network card in bridged mode to the server and added the gateway of the router to the configuration. So the Server is able to connect to the Internet over the second bridged network card but it is still able to be in the other subnet with the host only.

I want to configure the Server that the Client is able to connect to the Internet over the Server (second network card?) to the internet as well.

The reason why i'm trying this is that i already have an DHCP Server in my network and this will be a test Domaincontroller with DNS, AD, DHCP in a separate subnet but it should be able to connect to the internet through the bridged network card in the Server VM

Windows Server 2008 R2

Network Card 1 (host only): 10.2.2.1 (DHCP: 10.2.2.100/150)

Network Card 2 (bridged): 192.168.100.99 (gateway 192.168.100.1)

Thanks,

Patrick

0 Kudos
2 Replies
nancyz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Patrick,

In fact, host-only network is a private network and the VM in that network will not be able to connect to the outside. A bridged VM will act as a separate machine as your Mac.

But if you are using Fusion Professional, you could do this with virtual network editor. Which version of Fusion are you using,professional version or standard version?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

This is not a VMware Fusion issue per se, it's a Windows User issue.  You need to either set static routes between the two using the route command or install and enable the Routing and Remote Access Service on the Windows Server 2008 Virtual Machine.  Have a look at: How to configure Windows 2008 Server IP Routing

0 Kudos