VMware Communities
anchinnk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Confused...would like my Win 11 VM to update to Windows 11 Insider Preview 22621.1 (ni_release)

Some time ago I set up a VMWare VM with Windows 11. This has been running fine for months.

Now Windows would like to install Windows 11 Insider Preview 22621.1 (ni_release) but can't because there is no TPM 2.0 support.

Apparently, Windows has to be BitLockered before I can add a new device. BitLocker won't switch on because I haven't got a TPM installed.

?????

Am I running round in circles or am I missing something?

I've followed instructions on how to install Windows 11 without a TPM chip (regedit), I've also followed instructions for editing the Local Group Policy Editor to enable BitLocker, rebooted umpteen times but still cannot make progress.

The first question is, do I need to bother? If Windows can't update, does that matter?

The second is, assuming it does matter, because one likes to keep an OS up-to-date, what should I be doing to beat the gremlins?

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sounds like Microsoft is starting to enforce (or is going to start enforcing) the presence of a TPM device for Windows 11.

I’m assuming that you have UEFI set for this VM.

You shouldn’t need to enable BitLocker. You probably just need to add the TPM device to your VM configuration. (Enabling Bitlocker requires a TPM device but it’s overkill to bitlocker Windows just to get the TPM device recognized).  

Try either using Fusion’s VM encryption (that allows the TPM device to be added) or the experimental vTPM (would be my second choice). 

You must be part of the Windows Insider program and have installed a prior Insider Preview release if you are getting prompts to upgrade to an Insider Preview rlelease. Regular releases don’t ask you to apply insider preview releases  

Being able to update is essential, especially of that VM is attached to the Internet. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sounds like Microsoft is starting to enforce (or is going to start enforcing) the presence of a TPM device for Windows 11.

I’m assuming that you have UEFI set for this VM.

You shouldn’t need to enable BitLocker. You probably just need to add the TPM device to your VM configuration. (Enabling Bitlocker requires a TPM device but it’s overkill to bitlocker Windows just to get the TPM device recognized).  

Try either using Fusion’s VM encryption (that allows the TPM device to be added) or the experimental vTPM (would be my second choice). 

You must be part of the Windows Insider program and have installed a prior Insider Preview release if you are getting prompts to upgrade to an Insider Preview rlelease. Regular releases don’t ask you to apply insider preview releases  

Being able to update is essential, especially of that VM is attached to the Internet. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
anchinnk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Technogeezer!

Many thanks for the hints. Sorry I've been a bit tardy in replying - been a heavy week.

Yes, I have set UEFI.

I had overlooked the possibility to use VMware's own encryption, so I set that up.

Yes, I am already part of the Windows Insider programme. 

What I don't get is that if I click Add device, I am warned that removing the chip will have dire consequences. This suggests that it remembers that I once set it up for Win 11 in the first place. 

I ran through the procedures given on another site for preparing the Registry (https://www.groovypost.com/howto/install-windows-11-on-unsupported-hardware/) but even then I could not get Windows to update. I still can't.

So I went down the other path and created a brand new VM from a Win11 ISO, ran through all the procedures you mentioned and that worked a dream. 

That means I have an up-to-date version now but without all the Windows software I need. So I'll have to reinstall all that. Annoying but solved.

Many thanks for the help!

AH

0 Kudos