VMware Communities
mflynn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Confused about upgrading

I'm using Fusion 5 and I'm confused if I should upgrade to Fusion 6.  I'm currently running win7 but I'll be looking to install win8 in the near future.  At this point Fusion 5 under Mavericks seems to work ok, I have no issues. I've been looking here and googling and I've not seen any conclusive information that would lead me to believe I can run win8 under mavericks with Fusion 5 or I need to upgrade.

Also at this point is VMware prepping fusion 7 so I should hold off until that comes out?

Any suggestions and information will be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware Fusion 5 officially supports Windows 8 although not 8.1.  VMware Fusion 6 improved support for Windows 8 and with v 6.0.2 added support for Windows 8.1.  How Windows 8/8.1 will work in VMware Fusion 5 under Mavericks I can't say as I'm skipping Mavericks and sticking with Mountain Lion to the next OS X release.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Based on past performance the next major VMware Fusion release, version 7, will in all likelihood occur sometime between August and September 2014.  That said, VMware typically will not say explicitly when until it actually happens.

If you're happy with the current version and have no immediate need to upgrade to Windows 8 then my recommendation is, if it's not broke then don't try fixing it!  I would wait till Windows 9 is released and totally bypass Window 8 (the new Windows Vista).  VMware Fusion 5 is not officially supported under OS X Mavericks however if VMware Fusion 5 is not at all problematic for you under Mavericks then I'd definitely wait for VMware to catch up with the features offered in Parallels that Fusion does not have before upgrading unless the nonexistent feature in Fusion are of no interest to you.

0 Kudos
mflynn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I will be upgrading to windows 8, does that lock me into getting fusion 6?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware Fusion 5 officially supports Windows 8 although not 8.1.  VMware Fusion 6 improved support for Windows 8 and with v 6.0.2 added support for Windows 8.1.  How Windows 8/8.1 will work in VMware Fusion 5 under Mavericks I can't say as I'm skipping Mavericks and sticking with Mountain Lion to the next OS X release.

0 Kudos
mflynn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, looks like I may have enough to go on. I'll try win8 on Fusion 5 and if that doesn't work, I'll move on to Fusion 6, but I think I'll be best suited to holding off until Fusion 7 is out - provided I don't run into issues with Mavericks/windows 8 combination.

0 Kudos