VMware Communities
dgwharrison
Contributor
Contributor

Computer fails to wake from sleep with fusion running

Hey all,

My macbook has recently started failing to wake from sleep. The screen backlight comes on and the computer is clearly doing something but it doesn't bring up the login prompt and will basically just sit there being useless until i kill it and reboot.

I have managed to isolate the problem to only occur when VMware Fusion is running. This make sense because it started around the same time as i installed 2.0.5 and started a new VM (windows 7).

I'm not sure if it's the fact that i'm now running Windows 7 in my vm or the new version of VMware Fusion.

Does anyone else have this issue?

By the way, i do hope it's not Windows 7, that runs so nicely as a VM, even better than XP.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hello dgwharrison,

I'd like to get a little more information about how you're putting the computer to sleep, do you allow the computer to simply fall asleep (ie. after 10 minutes), do you have a hot corner, or do you use the Apple menu > Sleep option, or is the computer being put to sleep by closing the lid?

Does this issue occur every time the computer is put to sleep or after a certain time frame? For example, is the computer able to wake up if it's been asleep for only 5 minutes?

As well, you mention Windows 7 is running when this occurs, do you have another VM we could test with? Turn off or suspend Windows 7, start up Windows XP and test?

A lot of questions there, but I hope that can isolate it a little further for us!

Eric

0 Kudos
dgwharrison
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried putting the computer to sleep using the sleep command in the apple menu, also by simply closing the lid.

I think if you wake the computer reasonably early after a sleep, as you say about 5 minutes, it wake ups sucessfully. Working off memory there so i'll get back to you.

I'll try the windows xp vm i have also and get back to you.

One other thing i noticed is that i did have that VM configured to use an ISO CD image that was on a network share. Maybe it was trying to connect to that and failing. Also, will try.

0 Kudos
dgwharrison
Contributor
Contributor

I just put it too sleep manually (apple menu) for an hour or so, woke up fine then. I'll try closing the lid and leaving it for an hour or two see if that makes it happen.

Hopefully it was that ISO.

0 Kudos
dgwharrison
Contributor
Contributor

I put the computer too sleep by simply closing the lid while the windows 7 VM was running, left it asleep while i drove home then cooked dinner (2 hrs) - Crash on wake up.

Will try windows xp.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

It's interesting that after an hour it seemed to work successfully, however after several hours it would not wake. Have you had an opportunity to test with XP? What are your Energy Saver Settings set to? At any point have you reset the SMC on the computer?

Eric

0 Kudos
dgwharrison
Contributor
Contributor

Haven't tried xp yet i'm afraid. Note that there was a difference between the hour and the 2 hour attempts other than time, the hour long attempts involved me manually putting the macbook to sleep by using the command in the apple menu, the other time i just simply shut the lid.

I've never reset the SMC. Do you think i should?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Resetting the System Management Controller is intended as a last resort troubleshooting step in cases where the hardware of the computer may be at fault. If you do choose to reset it, I highly recommend not doing it more than once. More information can be found here

It is interesting the point you make about the difference between closing the lid and using the Apple menu. Although inconclusive without more tests, that can indicate a hardware issue. It could however, simply be a coincidence in this case.

Let me know how the test with XP goes.

Eric

0 Kudos
dgwharrison
Contributor
Contributor

I tried it with XP last night, I closed the lid rather than manually

activating sleep, left it for a few hours - it woke from sleep just fine.

This might be another coincidence so I'll do it again later but on the other

hand it may be an issue with windows 7 - which is not altogether surprising

given that windows 7 support isn't official yet but also a shame because it

works so well as a VM guest.

Regards,

Daniel Harrison

Director | Neotechnology Business Systems

Phone: 1300 88 00 48 (ex 1081) | Fax: +61 3 6273 6866 | Mobile: +61 408 608

Support: customersupport@neotechnology.com.au | Web:

www.neotechnology.com.au

The contents of this email are to be considered 'Commercial-in-Confidence'

and are for the information of the intended recipient only.

Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 23:19:00 +1000

To: Daniel Harrison <Daniel.Harrison@neotechnology.com.au>

Subject: New message: "Computer fails to wake from sleepwith

fusion running"

A new message was posted in the thread "Computer fails to wake from sleep with

fusion running":

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1306618#1306618

Author : EricMoore

Profile : http://communities.vmware.com/people/EricMoore

0 Kudos