VMware Communities
elitedev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cmd/Ctrl Key remapping oddity

Hi.

i'm running Windows XP in VMware Fusion 1.1.1, and i'm using the remapkey.exe (from the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit) to change the keyboard mapping and switch around the Left-Cmd and Ctrl keys. This allows me to consistently use Cmd* shotcuts for all kinds of things, symmetrical between Windows and OS X, beyond the few ones that VM tries to remap itself , including stuff like CmdS to save, Cmd+F to Find, etc...

this is working fine and i'm very happy with it, however there are two minor things that - for reasons i cannot understand - do not work:

(1) Cmd-Clicking to multi-select items (in explorer or anywhere else) has no effect. it's as if i'm just clicking without modifier key. since the Cmd key is mapped to Ctrl on keyboard driver level, i don't see why it should not register as "Ctrl+Click" to the app - but it doesn't.

(2) i (rarely, but sometimes) use Borland Delphi, which allows to CtrlHover and CtrlClick to navigate around code - this two doesn't work, Cmd-Hover/Click has no effect.

does anyone have an idea what's happening here and why this would not work? is this something that could be done about this by Vmware itself, in future versions?

[while we're at it, two minor annoyances with the Ctrl/Cmd remapping, maybe something to look at for v2: (a) Ctrl#'ing between spaces always pops up the Start menu when coming back to the VM space (coz the VM gets the Ctrl press and Windows key, of course) and (b) CmdH gets overridden by the "Hide VMware Fusion" menu item, and doesn't get applied as Ctrl+H inside the VM. i wish Fusion would take Screen Sharing's lead and not define any keyboard shortcuts, so they can all pass transparently thru to the VM]

thanx,

marc

0 Kudos
3 Replies
elitedev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

wtf, this forum seems to be a bit too smart for its own good in "formatting" the above post. ignore the link, and that last para is not supposed to be crossed out Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

On the VMware Fusion menu bar click VMware Fusion > Preferences... > and uncheck Enable Mac OS mouse shortcuts

0 Kudos
elitedev
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Woody,

thanx, but that's not it (the option is already disabled, fwiw).

note that this is about Cmd-Clicking (with Cmd swapped for Ctrl) that's not working. it seems as if somehow the "Ctrl is pressed" keyboard status doesn't get thru to all apps (possibly depending on how it's checked.

if i disable the key remapping, then Ctrl-Click (which the VMware preference you mention is about) works just fine. it's just the remapped Ctrl_on-Cmd key that does not work for these two scenarios (but works everywhere else as Ctrl, just fine - which is the odd thing!).

i guess i'll need to try to write a small test app that checks Ctrl status itself to see what's going on here exactly...

but thanx,

marc

0 Kudos