VMware Communities
aubreyapple
Contributor
Contributor

Cloning a MacOS 10.7.5 boot disk

I want to clone a 10.7.5 boot disk to a new Fusion machine. I cannot find a way to do it.

Ideas?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ChipMcK
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Instead, Copy as in make a back-up

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

No easy way to do it directly.  Best option is to create a new OSX VM, and then use the migration wizard, and point it to a USB drive with a backup.

0 Kudos
vmxmr
Expert
Expert

Do we understand the aubreyapple's original request? Here are my interpretations:

1. "I have a Mac running OS X 10.7.5. I want to clone it from the Mac to a VMware Fusion virtual machine. How can I clone it?"

Answer for #1:

There is no easy way to do it. Here is what I would do:

* Get a copy of the OS X 10.7 Lion installer. This may be the hardest part of the problem. You may be able to download it from the App Store, assuming that you installed OS X 10.7 on your Mac from the App Store. Perhaps you can get a copy of the installer from a friend who downloaded it from the App Store and can do it again for you.

* Install OS X 10.7.5 in a new virtual machine.

* When prompted, choose Migration Assistant to migrate your applications and data to the new virtual machine.

* Put the old Mac in Target Disk Mode. Hold down the "T" key while you start your Mac.

* Connect the Mac to the virtual machine over USB, and then follow up with Migration Assistant.

Alternatives:

* Create a Time Machine backup or a clone (try Carbon Copy Cloner) of the Mac to an external drive. Connect the external drive to the virtual machine's USB port and invoke Migration Assistant.

* Configure the Mac to share its file system over the network, then use Migration Assistant to connect from the virtual machine to the Mac over the network.

Note: You can run Migration Assistant at any time. It is in the /Applications/Utilities folder.

or (less likely):

2. "I have a VMware Fusion virtual machine running OS X 10.7.5 and would like to clone it to another virtual machine. How can I clone it?"

Answer for #2:

* Shutdown the virtual machine.

* Copy the virtual machine "file" (actually a "package").

* When you launch the new virtual machine, tell VMware Fusion that you "Copied it".

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

I think it's #1.  Couple of thoughts on the details.  Time machine is notorious for silent corruption, and doesn't handle things like databases or multi-file bundles well at all (that's why it breaks VM's, but other things break too).  Running the migration wizard after the initial installation can result in multiple user accounts and permission issues.  Doing it during system creation is the cleanest way.

0 Kudos