VMware Communities
Jackson98
Contributor
Contributor

Clean Up Virtual Machine corrupts disk image

I have VMware Fusion 5.0.3, guest os is WinXP, when I do "Clean Up Virtual Machine" it restores some space on the disk, but also corrupts it. When OS boots, it shows black screen with "A disk read error occurred" message. Luckily I've had an backup. I imported this VM from Parallels, and it works fine except for this.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Jackson98, and welcome to the VMware Communities!

Could you kindly collect a Support Information bundle (in Fusion, choose Help > Collect Support Information) and then attach it to a reply here in the forum (choose Use advanced editor in the top-right corner when composing your reply, then attach the .tar.gz file).  That will give us the best chance of figuring out what's going on there.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
Jackson98
Contributor
Contributor

Here's the log...

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Was it the Dev XP Virtual Machine or DevC Virtual Machine you had the issue with? (Just to save time and not needlessly looking at the wrong VM.) Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Jackson98
Contributor
Contributor

It was DevC. I tried to perform Clean Up two times: first one immediately after converting without turning guest os on, and second time after turning it on and sorting all drivers. Both times drive got corrupted or something.

0 Kudos
NarlySoftware
Contributor
Contributor

I have a very similar problem in that after I do a clean up of my 1TB Windows 7 VM it does a checkdisk, says no longer a good version of windows and the outlook files are corrupted.

Thank goodness I always kept a copy. I"m only using 10% of a 1TB VM that I created with the VMware utility that creates a VM from a real PC.

How can I reclaim this 900GB without this corruption?

0 Kudos