VMware Communities
orrwell
Contributor
Contributor

Clean Up Virtual Machine Issue

With VMWare Fusion version 8.5.6, I am getting a recurring Internal Error when I go to reclaim VM Disk Space.

This is not isolated to a single guest OS, or to a single VM.

Any solutions or ideas from the Community would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MacsRule
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Since I'm preparing to update from Fusion 8.1 to 8.5.6 to get the security improvements and have been testing the update on a clone of my Yosmite boot disk, I tested reclaiming disk space on Windows VM's from XP to Win 10. I only got the Internal Error message on XP but I routinely get that currently on Fusion 8.1 too. While annoying, disk space is reclaimed and the VM isn't damaged.

However, VMware Tools is automatically updated in Windows VM's but has to be manually updated in OS X VM's. And while that's worked for earlier OS X guests, when I tried to manually update Tools in a Mac OS 10.11 VM, I got the message "VMware Tools can't be installed on this disk. The version of OS X is too new."

I'm not making that up.

The Delete VMware Tools package was present too and that worked but then none of the features that Tools provides were present (screen size 1024x768 is no funSmiley Wink) and Tools would still not install, giving the same reason.

I had let Fusion update itself to 8.5.6 and I noticed that Tools packages were downloaded separately though automatically and must have been integrated into the Fusion 8.5.6 package during the update. So I tried deleting Fusion from the Applications folder and did a full install using the 8.5.6 installer. Tools still refused to install because the OS X guest was too new, suggesting that the built-in OS X Tools installer is not the newest version (which would only be noticed by either new purchasers or Fusion updaters with OS X 10.11 VM's who manually update Tools in OS X guests since the Virtual Machine menu says to Reinstall VMware Tools rather than Update, implying that updating isn't necessary). I was eventually able to locate "VMware-Tools-10.1.5-other-5055683" on the VMware website thanks to Google and some tinkering with version numbers in the URL, downloaded and installed it and El Capitan now works properly.

So while I don't have a solution for the Internal Error problem, be warned about updating Tools in the newest OS X VM's if you have them.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

"And while that's worked for earlier OS X guests, when I tried to manually update Tools in a Mac OS 10.11 VM, I got the message "VMware Tools can't be installed on this disk. The version of OS X is too new.""

Did you upgrade the OS in this guest from an earlier version of OSX?  VMware recently split the OSX Tools into an 'older versions' package and a 'modern' package (not sure the specific cutoff point).  If you go into your VM settings and check the Guest OS setting, match it up with the version of OSX you are running in the guest... then the correct VMware Tools package will be mounted to the VM and install just fine.

0 Kudos
MacsRule
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

While my OS 10.11 guest started out as Maverick (10.9) and was updated, I didn't change the "OS" version in Settings>General and that did indeed turn out to be the problem. Changing that guest OS designation to match the guest did allow VMware Tools to install properly.

But that raises a question:  unlike Windows, the Virtual Machine menu in Fusion when running an OS X guest says to Reinstall VMware Tools rather than Update Tools, implying that there is no benefit in doing so. Since there is apparently a newer version of Tools for that particular OS X guest, should the menu entry be Update and is there any actual benefit to reinstalling Tools in an instance like this?

Checking further, I noticed that after upgrading Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, I hadn't changed the guest type in Settings and did so. This time a need for updating was offered so I selected it in the menu and the process started (it didn't just run automatically). But almost 1/2 hour later, it was still in that mode so I just shut  the guest down (since on the clone, any damage can be fixed by importing the original VM and starting over). VMware Tools installation is usually pretty fast and simple so is there something else I should look for going on?

0 Kudos