VMware Communities
Miller102
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Clean Install in Fusion vs. VM Conversion from Parallels

Ok. I have been running Parallels 10 but I really don't like the direction Parallels has gone with Version 11. So....

I am trying out Fusion 8. I have successfully converted a Win 7 Pro x64 Parallels VM into a Fusion VM. The VM seems to run fine but I am wondering if there is a performance hit as a result of the VM conversion process. I have clean installs of my VMs in Parallels, but does anyone know if there is a difference in performance between a VM converted from Parallels into Fusion and an original VM created in Fusion? Is it worth installing clean straight into Fusion? Will I run into problems with converted VMs?

I would rather install fresh if there could be problems down the road, but it would be nice if I didn't have to create new VMs (and probably call MS to reactivate them).

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sierraworks
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've done both and when converting a parallels vm I go delete the parallels drivers and from then on don't seem any difference.   I do go and make sure that I use the same mac address otherwise a windows VM will unregister itself.

It's faster than creating a new VM from scratch. 

Parallels (IMHO) does better at some of the windows stuff,  better full screen, better keyboard handling.

But for some reason Parallels doesn't have a switch screen (command-~ ) which is a pain.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sierraworks
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've done both and when converting a parallels vm I go delete the parallels drivers and from then on don't seem any difference.   I do go and make sure that I use the same mac address otherwise a windows VM will unregister itself.

It's faster than creating a new VM from scratch. 

Parallels (IMHO) does better at some of the windows stuff,  better full screen, better keyboard handling.

But for some reason Parallels doesn't have a switch screen (command-~ ) which is a pain.

0 Kudos
Miller102
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I haven't used Fusion since ver. 4. Are there articles on how to delete the Parallels drivers and how to ensure the same MAC address? Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
nancyz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Miller102,

Welcome,Smiley Happy

Are there articles on how to delete the Parallels drivers and how to ensure the same MAC address? Any help would be appreciated.

You could do this by editing VM network adapter settings. Shut down the VM firstly, and then open its settings pane, you can do this via 'Virtual Machine' menu bar -> settings -> Network Adapter -> Advanced options (click the triangle), then paste or enter your MAC address in the textfield. After that, power on your VM, and it should get your expected MAC. Hope this will help.

Nancy