VMware Communities
P_2
Contributor
Contributor

Change VM's password.

I created a VM with Windows 7. During setup the wizard asked me the password I want to use for Windows account. I indecated no password.

Later I had to set an access password.

I don't know how to tell Fusion which is the new password: every time I start the VM, Fusion try to login with no password and Windows notify an error.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I don't know how to tell Fusion which is the new password: every time I start the VM, Fusion try to login with no password and Windows notify an error.

Technically this is not a VMware Fusion issue and VMware Fusion does not care whether of not you've assigned a password to Microsoft Windows (or any other OS for thst matter) or what it is.  In this particular case it totally a Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Windows End User Issue! Smiley Wink

Suggest you reset all account passwords to an empty string and reboot Windows and see what happens.  If it then boots to the Desktop without having to enter a password then assign one if you want.

P_2
Contributor
Contributor

Technically this is not a VMware Fusion issue and VMware Fusion does not care whether of not you've assigned a password to Microsoft Windows (or any other OS for thst matter) or what it is.  In this particular case it totally a Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Windows End User Issue!

OK, but there is something that I can't understand: when I setted up my VM, Fusion asked me which password I would have chosen for my windows account. I thought that Fusion wanted to know in order to provide an automatic login.
In fact now that Wondows password is different from the one I indicated during setup, every time I boot the VM, Windows gives me immediately the error "WRONG PASSWORD", but I do not have the possibility to type any password!
So I understand what you tried to explain me, but I do not understand why  Windows or Fusion try to perform an automatic login with a wrong password.
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Easy Install does that.
If you order autologon it writes a silent install instruction to enable autologon during setup.

Windows autologon uses a password written to the registry so your blank one no longer matches

You can disable autologon in the windows registry - or adjust the password if you want

P_2
Contributor
Contributor

You can disable autologon in the windows registry - or adjust the password if you want

OK, I will look for Autologin option in Windows Registry.
But it's funny that if I change password windows tries to autologin with an old one!!!!

Thank you!

0 Kudos
P_2
Contributor
Contributor

I solved my issue. thanks to all people who answer me.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

P@olo wrote:

Technically this is not a VMware Fusion issue and VMware Fusion does not care whether of not you've assigned a password to Microsoft Windows (or any other OS for thst matter) or what it is.  In this particular case it totally a Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Windows End User Issue!

OK, but there is something that I can't understand: when I setted up my VM, Fusion asked me which password I would have chosen for my windows account. I thought that Fusion wanted to know in order to provide an automatic login.

VMware Fusion Easy Install is just gathering information for the unattended answer file that Windows uses during an install and this can be done without VMware Fusion and why I say it's a Windows issue not a VMware Fusion issue per se.  Although I know at one time VMware wasn't properly writing this file and I told them about it but never followed up to see if they fixed it as it was many years ago an I never use Easy Install. Smiley Wink

Anyway, have a look at my reply: Re: Windows Guest Auto-Login How to turn it off?

0 Kudos