VMware Communities
Cancuino
Contributor
Contributor

Cant start VMWare, missing snapshot file

Hi all, I'm having a problem with VMWare, it froze and when I want to run it it says "File not found Windows XP Professional-Snapshot1166.vmsn", I do have the Windows XP Professional-Snapshot1165.vmsn file but not the file it asks me.

I can't restore to a previous snapshot neither.

I attached logs files, I hope you can help me.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Cancuino
Contributor
Contributor

Edit the previous post.

The problem started when I was taking a snapshot and a window pop up telling : "Cant open disc Windows XP Professional-00000

98.vmdk" of one of the disks it depends of.

Sorry if those are not the right words but my vmware is spanish.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

http://msg.disk.configureDiskError Reason: Reached the host's limit for open files.

Wow - you really have more snapshots then I have cents in my pockets Smiley Wink

Do you really need all of them ?

You maybe able to rise the limit for open files on your system - and then survive for sometime longer - but I would really recommend to get rid of at least some of your snapshots ...

Can you post a screenshot of the snapshotmanager ?

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

Cancuino
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your answer continuum.

I activated AutoProtect and didn't realise that I had so many snapshots.

I will post the screenshot tomorrow, can't do it right now, but there are a few snapshots, not so many like the log file.

The link you posted doesn't work, could you fix it?.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I did not post any link - thats the way this forum software renders log-file entries Smiley Sad

Please do yourself a favour - and disable this horrible autoprotect "feature" - it is designed to produce exactly this problems you just run into

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
Cancuino
Contributor
Contributor

I've just disabled the AutoProtect feature.

I have a lot of snapshots and when I try to delete them I get an error message, it says that the disk needs to be repaired.

I've been able to restore my VM and my data, so I think I should create another VM with the data I actually have.

How can I do that?.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
dalibu
Contributor
Contributor

Hi I have a similar problem. I've not used VM Fusion in over a year, since then I've reformatted my machine (iMac with two partitions, MBR format). Now just trying the 3.1.0 on a trial basis so I can decide if I want to upgrade. Just want to start my Windows 7 64 bit OS from within Mac 10.5.8, it's not a file- I want to launch it from the partition. It won't launch and I receive the following message when I try to start it. Any ideas? How do I delete the snapshots? (Auto-protect is disabled) Thanks!

0 Kudos