VMware Communities
Joker513
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cant download Fusion 8

I purchased Fusion 8.  Have shutdown/quit my VM session.  From Mac/Safari I go the the fusion downloads page and my purchase shows with a download now button.  Nothing happens when I click the button.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Joker513
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I figured this out myself.  After several hours of various attempts I decided to try the website and download using Google Chrome instead of Safari.  It worked perfectly.  Who knew that an application sold to work on a MAC doesn't play well with Safari.  I bet VMWare knows and could have given clear tips along with  the download purchase.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Joker513
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I figured this out myself.  After several hours of various attempts I decided to try the website and download using Google Chrome instead of Safari.  It worked perfectly.  Who knew that an application sold to work on a MAC doesn't play well with Safari.  I bet VMWare knows and could have given clear tips along with  the download purchase.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I just tried downloading Fusion 8 using Safari 8.0.8 (10600.8.9) on OS X 10.10.5... It works fine for me.  Maybe there is some corrupt state in your Safari installation, or some configuration or extension that is preventing the webpage from working properly?  If you feel like troubleshooting it further, consider creating a second user account on your Mac (in System Preferences > Users & Groups) and trying the download from that account.  (A second user account is often helpful for this sort of troubleshooting!)

--

Darius

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

We're aware, it's a tricky one to nail down because it happens infrequently and not for every user.

Our IT team is on standby and I've been reporting customers that experience this to them so we can check the server logs, etc.

Darius, email me if you want more detail

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
EandK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Joker,

Thanks for figuring this out....what a terrible 2 hours of nothing to download!  Brutal!

Will try your solution.

Thanks!!

VM please work to correct or at least make information more easily accessible with the work around.  Frustrating!

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

I totally hear you on this... IT is well aware and we're working on it.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
pplanch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just purchased the upgrade to Fusion 8, and (like other users a couple of months ago) on Safari (running latest update of El Capitan) the "Go to downloads" link on the download page returns a blank page in Safari.

I don't feel much for installing other browsers on my Mac, so is there a working link in the meantime ? (last post on this topic I saw was from October 6th, from VMWare, suggesting that the problem was being worked ...)

0 Kudos
vmxmr
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Just purchased the upgrade to Fusion 8, and (like other users a couple of months ago) on Safari (running latest update of El Capitan) the "Go to downloads" link on the download page returns a blank page in Safari. I don't feel much for installing other browsers on my Mac, so is there a working link in the meantime ? (last post on this topic I saw was from October 6th, from VMWare, suggesting that the problem was being worked ...)

This idea is so stupid as to be laughable, okay?

Can you use an alternate browser in one of your virtual machines to download the VMware Fusion installer? After that, copy it from your virtual machine to a shared folder or a USB flash drive. That way you could avoid installing an alternate browser on your Mac. You did say "upgrade", so I presume that you have a virtual machine (Windows? Linux?) with an alternate browser you could try.

P.S. I used Safari when I downloaded the upgrade about a month ago. It just worked.

0 Kudos
pplanch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Really ? Knowing that creating a USB drive in Win 8.1 on my virtual machine only allows FAT up to 200 MB selection and then crashes while formatting …

Meanwhile, through one of VMWare's own FB posts on 8.0.2 update, I found a direct download link in one of their own articles, and have been able to download (ON SAFARI ON EL CAPITAN) the dmg with installer for Fusion 8.1.0.

VMWare needs to take your own commercial website a little more serious, and stop deferring to all kinds of absurd actions to be taken by the customer. Just get working hyperlinks on the website, or fire the web designer …

Not impressed at all by this.

In the process of installing Win 10, hopefully then I will be able to get USB drives to work.

Really not impressed.

0 Kudos