VMware Communities
ashervi
Contributor
Contributor

Canon printer in Windows 7 VM in Fusion

Hi all,

I installed Windows 7 on my Fusion 2.0, Mac OS X 10.6.6.  I installed a Canon Pixma MX860.  When I search for printers, it cannot be found.  Windows can see the internet and the home wireless LAN just fine.  From 'cmd' prompt I can ping the printer's IP.  But the find-printer utility can't find it.

(I previously installed the same printer on a similar, but not identical, setup - Win XP in Fusion 2.0 on Mac OS X 10.5.  It worked fine right away.  Same network same everything.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Asher

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ashervi
Contributor
Contributor

Forgot to mention:  I turned Windows firewall off.  Still not working.

0 Kudos
wizbang
Contributor
Contributor

I can tell you my experience with a Canon MF series.  I could also ping the IP address, but the printer wouldn't connect.  I then was told on forums that there was something in Bonjour that kept networked hardware from being seen by the Mac OS if Multicasting was enabled on the router.   Turned off multicasting and suddenly my mac "saw" the printer and the router as hardware.  Previously the router worked, but it didn't show up as a router in the windows explorer.

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
ashervi
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for trying, but it still doesn't work.  As I said, all my other wireless computers in the house, including an XP VM in a different Mac (Fusion) is working fine.  There's a difference, hoever, between the two Fusions:  Whilke both are the same version (2.0), the first one was installed from scratch; the 2nd one (the one in Windows 7) was migrated from the first one, together with the rest of my account, using Mac OS X migration utility.

0 Kudos
ashervi
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, got the solution on my own.  Too simple:  the network adapter has to be in BRIDGED mode, not NAT.  I discovered it by reading and understanding better the different modes, then comparing with my other Fusion on the other Mac, where it's working fine.  This was my own ignorance and stupidity (on the other hand, I was suprised nobody pointed it out.  Oh well, live and learn.)  So no need to change anything on the router etc.

0 Kudos