VMware Communities
asinancy
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot shrink disk size b/c have preallocated size

Hello All,

I am getting the following error message when I try to open VMWare Fusion>Windows XP Profession 64:

The file system upon which '/Volumes/Windows/Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.vmwarevm' resides is critically low on free space. Allowing this virtual machine to continue may cause it to fail unexpectedly. VMWare Fusion has paused this virtual machine because the disk on which the virutal machine is stored is almost full. To continue, free up at least 888kb of disk space.

The problem is that I cannot clean up the disk/free up space because everything on the hard disk settings are greyed out because I have preallocated the disk size. I have deleted all snapshots and have also disabled snapshots.

I am not able to getting into VMWare>Windows to shrink the disk size with VMWare tools.

The Mac side thinks the disk capacity is 743.97GB, 8.65GB available, and 735.32GB used.

The PC side and VMWare thinks the disk capacity is 950GB, 612GB available, and 338GB used.

I am not sure what I need to do to shrink the disk size or why the PC and Mac disk capacity, available, and used are so different.

NEED HELP since no work can be done when we cannot get into VMWare!!!

Thanks in advance. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Nancy Carpenter

0 Kudos
1 Reply
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

The file system upon which '/Volumes/Windows/Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.vmwarevm' resides is critically low on free space. Allowing this virtual machine to continue may cause it to fail unexpectedly. VMWare Fusion has paused this virtual machine because the disk on which the virutal machine is stored is almost full. To continue, free up at least 888kb of disk space.

From the message above you must free at least one more 1 GB in OS X to allow your VM to run. I suggest freeing much more than this, at least 20 GB, if possible. Most users who fill up their OS X disk have no idea why it's full. I recommend downloading and running Disk Inventory X which shows you a nice graphical view of what is consuming your disk space in OS X. Find the largest files you don't need and trash them to free up space.

0 Kudos