VMware Communities
bambi8
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot run chkdsk in virtual Windows...

hey, folks:

I'm new to VMware fusion and the Mac, having being a PC user for a very long time. I really hope that you will kindly provide your expert guidance on how to run the chkdsk utility in the virtual Windows OS. I had earlier attempted to find (unsuccessfully) postings in this forum that might provide some resolution.

Here are my problems:

1) Recently, the Firefox browser completely froze twice, and I had no choice but to hard shut down the Mac. After that, error messages popped up saying "The file or directory C:\Windows\system is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the chkdsk utility.

2) I tried running the chkdsk utility according to Microsoft instructions: a) error-checking tool in Windows; and, via the b) command prompt. Either way, the chkdsk utility will not run. Error messages include: a) "The disk check could not be performed because the utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files....." I tried the scheduling but it just wouldn't run. b) "Cannot open volume for direct access. Windows has finished checking the disk."

3) I'm now wondering if running of the chkdsk utility is any different from that of a stand-alone Windows OS. Is it? If so,your guidance will be very much appreciated.

Since the appearance of the disk error pop-ups, the virtual Windows is very unstable -- sometimes it would start normally, while at other times it would show the pop-up indicating the several choices of starting in normal mode, in safe mode etc. Several times, the OS just wouldn't start up! I guess that unless the disk errors are repaired, it will continue to behave this way.

In addition, the disk defragmentor will not run after several chkdsk attempt. The error message is: "Disk defragmentor has detected that chkdsk is scheduled to run the volume: (c:). Please run chkdsk /f."

4) In some of the earlier postings, there are suggestions to:

a) backup the virtual OS. How's this done? Is there any documentation?

b) use the recovery console in the Windows installation CD. Again, your guidance on how to do this will be much appreciated.

I fear now that the Windows OS might soon die on me. Before the Firefox browser misbehaved, the whole system was running smoothly.

Please help...thanks very much.

tch

My existing laptop configuration:

Vmware fusion 1.1

Mac OS X ver 10.5.5: processor 2.2 GHz Intel core 2 duo, 2 GB memory

Guest OS: Windows XP home, service pack 3, Firefox browser 3.0.1; Zonelarm security suite, Spybot, Adaware...

0 Kudos
0 Replies