Nam2020
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot remove file to reduce space of hard disk in vmware on Mac

Hi guy,

My name is Nam.

Please help me solve this problem.

I am running windows 10 on VMWare Fusion.

Although I installed 2 small softwares, but my disk space increase so fast.

I have removed 180GB of vmbundle file.

When I opened Show Package Contents, I saw many big files which is created but never automatically removed.

How can I remove or clear that files to release space in my hard disk?

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 17.46.59.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Space is not automatically reclaimed from the VMDK files that make up your virtual disk when you delete files within the guest OS.

I do see that your VM has a snapshot, deleting it via the Fusion UI (NOT by manually deleting any files!) will reduce the size of the VM package.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Space is not automatically reclaimed from the VMDK files that make up your virtual disk when you delete files within the guest OS.

I do see that your VM has a snapshot, deleting it via the Fusion UI (NOT by manually deleting any files!) will reduce the size of the VM package.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos