VMware Communities
jacarter3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot reliably access Host folder Shares in Windows 10 Pro

I can see my Fusion "Share" folder using the link on the desktop. I cannot reliably access shortcuts to the same or sub-folders in my Docs library (not at all from from File Explorer but some apps can?) and get the dreaded "not found" dialog. This means I cannot open files in the share from most of my applications making my Windows 10 VM basically useless (it's not the only VM I use and have several that need access to the same share). Anyone else having this issue? I am running Mavericks as the host OS, i7 quad core 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1GB VRAM (MacBook Pro 15" Mid2012). I could not find a similar post in this forum. Any assistance will be appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

AFAIK, the following steps will address your host file share issue.

1. Take a snapshot (so you can go back to it)

2. uninstall vmware tools

3. reboot Windows 10

4. install vmware tools

5. reboot Windows 10

6. Test if your shared folders work properly now and if so, remove the snapshot.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

8 Replies
jacarter3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Okay, I went back to the "Quick Access" area in the File Explorer to delete and then add back the links to the share and relevant sub folders. I can now navigate to and open files in these links. Unfortunately, programs like SolidWorks use references to model files that also may reference other files and these are not found, even if they are in the very same folder. So I still cannot use Windows 10 to do production work. It is starting to seem like this is more of a Windows 10 issue regarding the resolution of files names than a Fusion problem, but I would still appreciate any assistance or pointers that are provided.

0 Kudos
jacarter3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Update - this has resolved into 2 separate issues.

1] I cannot find the Fusion share point in the Network section. So the only connection point is file:\\vmware-host .

2] Windows 10 has issues with mapping shares to drive letters. The mapping that existed in Win 7 Pro prior to upgrade is not functional.

Apparently my SolidWorks and other file references depend on the network share mapping. Basically Win 10 appears to be a no-go. Archiving the VM with hopes these issues get resolved somewhere down the road and going back to the Win 7 VM for the foreseeable future.

Again any insights or tips will be appreciated.

0 Kudos
sticker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm with you on the share issue... Mapping it as a drive has worked for me... right click -> properties on your desktop link....  should be something like "\\vmware-host\Shared Folders"

open a command prompt

net use /persistent:Yes Z: "\\vmware-host\Shared Folders"

sub your pref on drive letter and share location if different.

the mapping is still there... just not in sight... the old way is as follows (and by old way im referring to the GUI method witch actually works the same as net use)

1. open file explorer

2. click "this pc" on the left.

3. click the computer tab on top

4. click "Map Network Drive"

5. back to comfort zone!

one note, dont be surprised if you dont see the map right after, i have found i need to close file explorer and reopen.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

AFAIK, the following steps will address your host file share issue.

1. Take a snapshot (so you can go back to it)

2. uninstall vmware tools

3. reboot Windows 10

4. install vmware tools

5. reboot Windows 10

6. Test if your shared folders work properly now and if so, remove the snapshot.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
jacarter3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the tip but no joy there:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240]

(c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\redacted>\\vmware-host\Shared Folders

The network name cannot be found.

C:\Users\redacted>net use /persistent:Yes Z: "\\vmware-host\Shared Folders"

System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not found.

C:\Users\redacted>cd \\vmware-host\Shared Folders

'\\vmware-host\Shared Folders'

CMD does not support UNC paths as current directories.

C:\Users\redacted>net use /persistent:Yes Z: \\vmware-host\Shared Folders

C:\Users\redacted>net use /persistent:Yes Z: \\vmware-host\Shared Folders\

C:\Users\redacted>net use /persistent:Yes Z: "\\vmware-host\Shared Folders\"

Oddly, the desktop shortcut does work but nothing else.

Going to try Uninstalling and Re-installing VMWare Tools. Previously, I had just run the Repair option and rebooted.

Thanx again for the tip.

0 Kudos
jacarter3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you!

That did the trick. Previously I had only used the Repair option for VMWare Tools installation and rebooted. Apparently that is not enough. I wish the VMWare would create a persistent forum message emphasizing the you must completely remove the VMWare Tools installation and re-apply it for things to work or just remove the "Repair" option from the installation manager.

Still trying to grapple with the fact that updates in Win 10 will reset your privacy, update (specifically the opt out of back feeding update packages to the Internet), and some network settings. Also, I tire of Win 10 trying to tie my my machine to a Microsoft account to facilitate their tracking and storage of my use. Fortunately, I can limit the VM's access to the Internet in the "Network Adapter" settings of the VM. I will enable this only periodically to fetch updates after I have reviewed them in a separate VM the gets Insider Preview updates but is not used for production work.

Thanx again.

0 Kudos
BriSully
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This worked for me!  Thanks for the help.

Brian

0 Kudos
fmaraux
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I have the same issue.

I tried this solution but the problem still remains.

Does  someone else have another idea?

BR

Fred

0 Kudos