VMware Communities
cpatch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot recreate Boot Camp Volume in Fusion 6

I've been successfully using Fusion 5 with Bootcamp since it came out. I upgraded to 6 today and it had me delete my VMWare Bootcamp file and recreate it. When I go to recreate it, on the "Choose a Boot Camp Volume" screen the BOOTCAMP disk icon has a warning icon next to it with the text "If another virtual machine is using the disk, it must be powered off first." No virtual machines are running and I've rebooted my Mac. I cannot get past the screen....if I select the volume and the "Create a Boot Camp Virtual Machine" option the Continue button remains grayed out.

Craig

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scottyd5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

FYI I had this exact same problem. I have Paragon NTFS driver installed on my system and this was interfering with being able to recreate the boot camp virtual machine. I fixed it by going into system preferences, selecting NTFS for Mac and clicking the box to disable the Paragon NTFS, rebooted and VMware allowed me to do make a boot camp virtual machine. Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

22 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thanks for posting this. I've asked the team to investigate.

-Simon

jim_gill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Craig, when you look in Finder, does your boot camp volume appear in the "Devices" list in the left-hand sidebar? I was able to reproduce the error message "If another virtual machine is using the disk..." by selecting the Boot Camp device in Finder and doing a right-click "Eject" on it (thus dismounting the volume). Restarting my Mac did put the BOOTCAMP volume back into Finder, and restarting Fusion after that let me create a Boot Camp VM from it. Is your boot camp volume visible from OS X at all?

The engineer who knows most about this is out today, but we'll follow up in the morning.

0 Kudos
cpatch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The disk partition containing the BOOTCAMP volume is visible on the desktop. If I open it, I can see the contents of the volume. I can also successfully boot the Mac into Boot Camp.

If it makes any difference (it didn't to Fusion 5), the partition is on an SSD.

0 Kudos
scottyd5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

FYI I had this exact same problem. I have Paragon NTFS driver installed on my system and this was interfering with being able to recreate the boot camp virtual machine. I fixed it by going into system preferences, selecting NTFS for Mac and clicking the box to disable the Paragon NTFS, rebooted and VMware allowed me to do make a boot camp virtual machine. Hope that helps.

shudson310
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the exact same problem! Worked fine with 5, but can't find it in 6.

Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013

Processor  2.7 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory  16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Software  OS X 10.8.4 (12E55)

Can't get past the grayed out options.

0 Kudos
WStevens
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same problem here.

Worked fine with 5. Not working with 6.

Message was edited by: WStevens Get attached error. Follow instructions, and have the same problem as original poster.

0 Kudos
scottyd5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You guys that are having problems, do you have any type of NTFS driver or app installed? Also it might be worth mentioning that in addition to disabling Paragon NTFS I uninstalled with App Zapper and followed these instructions for completely removing Fusion, then fresh installing. Not sure if the complete uninstall then clean re-install was part of the fix, but I know my NTFS program was definitely the main cause of this error.

WStevens: you need to delete the virtual machine from the library in Vmware Fusion and re-add a new boot camp machine.

0 Kudos
WStevens
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Deleted the virtual machine, followed instructions to re-add a new boot camp - and got the same message as the original poster. I think I'll wait to hear what Vmware has to say before I start uninstalling. But thanks for the info, it may come in handy.

Screen Shot 2013-09-05 2.png

0 Kudos
shudson310
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Finally got it to work, using a combination of the above suggestions!

I went through and deleted all possible VMWare folders using these instructions.

Next, in System Preferences, I had NTFS-3G so went in and disabled it.

After a reboot or two, I also ejected the BOOTCAMP device in finder and rebooted one more time after a fresh VMWare 6 install.

When I launched VMWare and tried to Add a New Bootcamp, the Continue option was no longer grayed out, and adding the Bootcamp VM proceeded without issue.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Craig, according to information in the support bundle you have Tuxera NTFS installed and this needs to be disabled in order process the Boot Camp partition to be run as a Virtual Machine.  Have a look at: Re: upgraded to vmWare Fustion 6 but cannot create from bootcamp

JasonPro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the same issue. I have Paragon NTFS installed. I just had to go into System Preferences and open the Paragon panel. I selected turn off NTFS driver. I rebooted. Then I recreated the bootcamp vm in vmware fusion. Then powered it up and let it upgrade tools and such. I powered the vm down, then rebooted once again. I then re-enabled paragon in sys prefs. I then rebooted again. Paragon is now loaded. I am able to powerup the vm off the bootcamp partition without issue just like I could with fusion 5. I hope that this helps if you also have paragon or some other third party NTFS driver installed.

0 Kudos
RBCK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have exactly the same problem. It seems to be a bug in Fusion 6.

- Fusion and all the corresponding files removed from the HD

- Fusion reinstalled

- No Tuxera or other NTFS support running

- Bootcamp partition unmounted

…and still the same behavior  :smileyangry:

https___communities.vmware.com_servlet_JiveServlet_showImage_2-2283919-31105_Screen+Shot+2013-09-05+2.png

0 Kudos
JackDub
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello all.  First time poster here.  I had the same issue and fixed mine using part of the information above, but didn't get real in-depth with it.  I simply did the following:

1. Disabled the Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X driver
  2. Upgraded my VMware Fusion 5.0.3 to 6.0
  3. Deleted the existing Boot Camp machine in the Virtual Library
  4. When I went to create the new Boot Camp VM, there was no longer an exclamation point and the Continue button was no longer grayed out
  5. Booted the new VM, went through the upgrades and reboots required and everything went without a hitch

No reboots, no complete deinstalls, and no manual folder deletions.

Thanks to everyone for your help and advice.

0 Kudos
bjacobsen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same issue. I have never had any kind of NTFS driver installed, and get the same error whether I have the Boot Camp partition mounted or not.

0 Kudos
pingudownunder
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This worked for me as well. Thankyou.

0 Kudos
sirmerkin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have followed the steps described in this thread and others, clean uninstalling/reinstalling of Fusion, removing 3rd party drivers, etc. all to no avail. Same error as original post, option is greyed out with the yellow caution triangle "If another virtual machine is using the disk it must be powered off first."

0 Kudos
karthikg2013
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi sirmerkin,

Can you post the output of the following command:

1. Launch Terminal - located under Mac HD > Applications > Utilities > Terminal

2. Copy & paste the following command:

sudo /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-rawdiskCreator print /dev/disk0*

Note: Enter Mac admin password when prompted to enter a password.

0 Kudos
sirmerkin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Nr      Start       Size Type Id Sytem                  

-- ---------- ---------- ---- -- ------------------------

1         40     409600  GPT EE Efi System

2     409640  390899288  GPT EE Apple HFS

3  391308928    1269536  GPT EE Unknown

4  392579072   97654784  GPT EE Basic Data

0 Kudos
daveyw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same problem.  Disabled Paragon NTFS.  Rebooted.  Un-installed VMware Fusion 6, and removed all of the cache and preferences etc.  Rebooted.  Installed VMware Fusion 6.  Reboot.  Eject the boot camp partition.  But still can't create a VM from the boot camp.

$ sudo /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-rawdiskCreator print /dev/disk0

Nr      Start       Size Type Id Sytem                  

-- ---------- ---------- ---- -- ------------------------

1         40     409600  GPT EE Efi System

2     409640 1679249368  GPT EE Apple HFS

3 1679659008    1269536  GPT EE Unknown

4 1680928768  194453504  GPT EE Basic Data

0 Kudos