VMware Communities
Fabiozib
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot reconnet an External USB MyBoook after upgrade to 11

Hello,

since I upgraded to version 11, 11.0.2 now, (within OSX 10.14.2 Mojave) one specific external drive, WD MyBook Essential (and only that one), cannot reconnect to any Windows Virtual Machine (two different W7 and one W10). It connects properly to the Mac, but once I connect to the windows machine I get an error message by which "cannot reconnect to its ideal host controller" (my mac is in Italian so the screenshot attached).

NB: it works on a Windows 10 laptop. so the problem is in VmWare fusion:

I tried many tricks arounds among which:

- reimported a copy of the VM as first try

- Connect/reconnect/ Reboot (almost at every single different test)

- Reinstall/Repair/ Fusion tools (even upgrade to 10.3.5)

- remove all USB entries in registry in windows with USBDeview to force initial recognition (View any installed/connected USB device on your system )

- copy fusion app out of the /application folder. delete the original and move back to reset whatever permission. (but I did not reinstalled the full fusion).

- Format (!! painful and desperate act) (in windows) the drive.

I'm out of options as I am not that geek to start playing with Kernels...

To me it is a kind of bug in Fusion, but cannot understand why it happens only with this Drive and not with others (t

Any suggestion please?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Fabiozib
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I might have found finally a solution. Seems that writing in a forum open your minds...

Here is what I did so that other can test and confirm eventually:

- I went through all Fusion options and noted  in the advance USB the option of compatibility to USB3, as it was grayed when VM is running I did not noted before and it is true that the MyBook in question is USB3 (the default was set to 2.0 in Fusion). Strange enough it was working before, but cannot confirm what was the option of course.

- however, doing this and forcing the USB3 recog at start up was not enough as still the automatic installation of the driver failed.

- with that I googled more on USB Drivers and donwloaded the package from INTEL, and NOT Microsoft: Download Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver for Intel® 8/9/100 Series and Intel® C220/...

After installing the INTEL driver in the Windows 7 VM then it finally recognized the drive.

I will do an extra test in the other VMs but I suppose this is the solution (if not will report back)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Fabiozib
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I might have found finally a solution. Seems that writing in a forum open your minds...

Here is what I did so that other can test and confirm eventually:

- I went through all Fusion options and noted  in the advance USB the option of compatibility to USB3, as it was grayed when VM is running I did not noted before and it is true that the MyBook in question is USB3 (the default was set to 2.0 in Fusion). Strange enough it was working before, but cannot confirm what was the option of course.

- however, doing this and forcing the USB3 recog at start up was not enough as still the automatic installation of the driver failed.

- with that I googled more on USB Drivers and donwloaded the package from INTEL, and NOT Microsoft: Download Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver for Intel® 8/9/100 Series and Intel® C220/...

After installing the INTEL driver in the Windows 7 VM then it finally recognized the drive.

I will do an extra test in the other VMs but I suppose this is the solution (if not will report back)

0 Kudos