VMware Communities
portertm
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot print in Windows Vista

I am unable to print with my HP Photosmart 5200 when in my virtual Windows Vista mode. I have tried all the steps in the VM Ware tutorials. They are excellent, really, however, they are XP based and Vista does not respond in quite the same way. Note: printer works fine in Mac Leopard mode.

Steps tried:

1. After the printer was installed and working fine in Mac mode, I installed the printer while in Vista by loading the printer CD. Appeared to load OK until "print test page". "Error" message shows on printer icon.

2. Checked and double checked that the USB port is the correct port from the Virtual Machine menu, and that the printer is connected. The USB cable is plugged into the slot on the rear of the Apple Cinema display.

3. When I launch the HP Solutions Center, it says "no HP device connected", however the printer shows up in Control Panel.

4. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer multiple times, including the HP software, following the recommended procedures.

I am an experienced PC user and new to Mac and VM Ware Fusion.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Are you sure the printer works with Vista, e.g. have you tried on a physical computer?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Are you sure the printer works with Vista, e.g. have you tried on a physical computer?

All current HP Photosmart C5200 All-in-One series printers work with Vista.

HP Photosmart C5240 All-in-One

HP Photosmart C5250 All-in-One

HP Photosmart C5275 All-in-One

HP Photosmart C5280 All-in-One

HP Photosmart C5283 All-in-One

HP Photosmart C5288 All-in-One

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Try connecting the USB cable directly to the computer not the Apple Cinema display.

0 Kudos
portertm
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, etung, the printer prints normally when I use it from the Mac OS.

0 Kudos
portertm
Contributor
Contributor

I did that already, WoodyZ, but had the same results.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

You said "I am unable to print with my HP Photosmart 5200" and 5200 I believe is just a Series Model Number so what is the actual Model Number so I can look at the documentation for the exact model?

0 Kudos
portertm
Contributor
Contributor

The printer is a model 5280

0 Kudos
portertm
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Woody, any new ideas on what I can try regarding my printing issue?

Thanks, MPorter

0 Kudos
MandarMS
Expert
Expert

Try following

Share the OS X shared printer resource with the Windows VM then install and properly share the printer in OS X and then use Bonjour for Windows from Apple to setup the printer in the Windows VM. However first delete all occurrences of the printer that exist in Windows under Printer and Faxes from Control Panel and reboot the Virtual Machine before proceeding with Bonjour for Windows

Bonjour for Windows - http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/bonjourforwindows.html

Also go through the following for how to install printer in VM http://mylearn.vmware.com/MgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=3193&ui=www

0 Kudos
portertm
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the reply. I'll give this a go, but please know that I'm off

today on a 3 day trip and won't get to it until the weekend.

MP

0 Kudos