VMware Communities
Daedan
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot power on VM with VMware fusion 12 on Big Sur 11.0.1

Hi, I'm new to VMware and tried to start a VM for the first time. I tried using a bootcamp image and start from an .iso with the same result. I've got a message saying that the vm failed to power on. No other explanation.. so I went to the log file but couldn't find a clue to what my problem is. 

I've attach the log to the message.

So far I've tried to use VirtualBox and Parallels and both failed as well.. what's wrong with me (or my computer)?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
david_lee_smith
Contributor
Contributor

After upgrading to Big Sur I had a similar problem I was able to overcome by editing the virtual machine preferences and turning off disk-cache. After this change I was able to boot but the performance is very slow. Hope this work-around helps until VMWare or Apple can publish a patch. 

0 Kudos
leronjordan87
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem. Already stuck with this issue. Can any one help please? thanks in advance. 

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

usual troubleshooting:  make sure it's installed and running as an administrator, make sure you allowed the extension in system preferences/security when prompted

Big sur/Fusion 12 specific, disable nested hypervisor in the VM preferences.

0 Kudos
leronjordan87
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Sir,

Thank you for your reply. I'm already done in that troubleshooting but unfortunately still the same "Failed to power on (path). I'm using macOS Big Sur ver.11.2.3, Chip: Apple M1. VM Fusion version 12.1.0.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Fusion is not supported on M1 chips.  They are working on a version that will support ARM guests on M1 chips.

When it is supported, it's highly unlikely that it'll support x86 guests.  If you need to run an intel OS, for the foreseeable future, the only option is to use an intel chip.

0 Kudos
leronjordan87
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Sir dlhotka,

Thanks for your input Sir. As of now I'm able to run ARM (Windows 10 Insider Preview). I'll wait for fusion version that will support ARM guests on M1 chips. Appreciate your reply.

0 Kudos
TecBloke
Contributor
Contributor

I've started having the problem on my iMac since the 11.4 upgrade. It didn't't affect my MacBook Air, but the iMac can't boot past the login screen of any VM that I have. The odd time I can import one and get one boot and some upgrades before it won't boot again.

It's not M1, it's an older 27" iMac. Worked fine for months. Then the OS X upgrade.

I've tried reinstalling earlier OS X, different versions of Fusion 12, different VMs.

Tried disabled/enabled side channel mitigation - no change

Tried disabling 3D rendering (was a Fusion 10 problem) - no change

Tried changing my Mac UID number - don't ask - I got the mac working again - eventually

I have 2 crash reports available (200 ish Mb each).

Any ideas? It's got to be in the application or the installation of Fusion, as I can run the same VM on my laptop with the same versions of OS X and Fusion.

A million thank yous!

0 Kudos
TecBloke
Contributor
Contributor

I did a clean install of 11.4 and the latest version of Fusion and everything is fine now.

It's obviously an OS X upgrade issue.

But it took a clean install and complete deletion of data and OS to clear the problem.

Even attempting to manually remove the last few files left after the Fusion uninstall using appcleaner didn't fix the problem.

Hope this helps someone.

I did NOT do a restore of anything from a backup using restore, I just dragged the few things that I needed and reinstalled everything for fear of bringing over a problem from the last install.

0 Kudos