VMware Communities
bzdura
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot install new Linux VM from ISO - Fusion 12.1.2 (17964953)

So once again VM screwed up sth...it is never ending story, they trying to fix sth but instead of this they are breaking up sth else.

Im Trying to create new Kali VM from ISO file - Fusion is not able to recognise ISO and boot a VM from it. Just nothing happening. ISO image is fine, I tried it on MS WIndows - no problem to build VM. 

CD/DVD with ISO image is connected but VM is saying that there is no bootable image.

Suprise? No!

Parallels has his own limitations but it works.

I'll not pay any more coins for this buggy software anymore. Im done. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

A few things first.
1. You don't have to pay for VMware Fusion Player if you are not using it professionally, it is free for non commercial use. VMware Fusion Player is what the non Professional license was before, so it is very capable and includes functionality like snapshots.
2. There are indeed sometimes issues. VMware switching early to apple's hypervisor is not always in their advantage.

Next up.. your statement about "can't even boot the ISO" made me curious.
So I went to https://kali.org/get-kali/#kali-bare-metal and downloaded the x64 iso image that is recommended.

IOW, this link: https://cdimage.kali.org/kali-2021.2/kali-linux-2021.2-installer-amd64.iso and verified the hash.

% shasum -a 256 kali-linux-2021.2-installer-amd64.iso
ef83bafe1f19088666a8080d7ea07bd4f8da2fda0fcb3ef5f2ce2658f349c119 kali-linux-2021.2-installer-amd64.iso

that looks like what is at the site.
Next..

File -> New -> Create a custom yadda yadda yadda -> Linux, Other 5.x and later x64 -> UEFI -> choose new disk.

Shut down VM

Attach the fresh iso

Connect CD/DVD

boot --->

wila_0-1625954625211.png

Sorry, but not seeing ANY problem here.

FWIW, Fusion 12.1.2, macOS 11.5 beta

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yah, I install new Linux and BSD VMs pretty regularly, Kali being high on my list there. Never had an issue.  

How are you creating the VM? Using the install wizard and having it detect the OS (by dragging it into the new VM dialogue), or are you creating a custom VM and adding it after?

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos